Defeating the Senior Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Some call it Senioritis. It’s actually quite a serious condition in which seniors develop an uncontrollable lazy feeling. They tend to skip more classes, sleep more, and have their minds on the crazy future ahead of them as graduation nears. Very few narrowly escape such a condition, but how does the majority cope?

1.  Accept your problem. Let’s face it, you’ve barely touched your books in almost a week and you know you haven’t done anything when you say that you haven’t had this much fun since…ever. Don’t deny the fact that you’re drifting away mindlessly and not caring anymore about school right now because you have just been diagnosed with senioritis.

2.  Get off of Facebook. We have our Twitters, Tumblrs, and Livejournals to keep us preoccupied, but Facebook never fails to be the top distraction. Saying you’ll do your paper by tonight but having your eyes still glued onto your Facebook homepage for two hours isn’t really helping. Make a pact with another fellow senior who has the same condition as you do, and change each other’s passwords for the rest of the quarter. It will not only feel strangely liberating as you temporarily step out of the social circle, but you will also get your work done and focus. Once you get back on, it’s quite satisfying to know that you got through your last quarter here at UCI without Facebook… and survived.

3.  Set up a schedule. Have a routine on what you want to get done in a week, and throw in some workout times as well. If you stick to your self-schedule for just that week, you’ll get yourself motivated to keep on going, and before you know it, the quarter will end. This will keep you busy and oblige you to be more productive with your available time before graduation.
Also, getting something difficult done before the due date will boost your motivation to strive harder and not let your three years of college go to waste.

4.  Live in the present. It’s hard when you have so much on your mind: graduation, graduation parties, bonfires, and vacations with family and friends… and the list goes on. Earnestly succumbing into the future will only get you more excited and anxious and dwelling in the past will only waste your time and brain cells. So why not just do what you need to do now, and enjoy your celebrations later? That way, you won’t be regretting on how you wished you focused in your last quarter here, but instead you’d be making the most time out of the rest of the year. But it doesn’t mean you can’t have fun. Just remember that you’re still enrolled at UCI and you still have a quarter of classes left in which grades matter. Prioritize.

And there it is, senior colligiettestm! It’s difficult to get through the rest of the quarter with graduation on your mind, but don’t let your grades suffer because of it. Follow these easy steps to keep you on track while still enjoying and making the most of your final quarter at UCI!

Resham is a senior at the University of California, Irvine, with a major in International Studies and a minor in Cognitive Psychology. She is currently a proud member and Editor of Kappa Alpha Theta as well as Assistant Communications Officer of Panhellenic Association. Resham was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA and now enjoys living in luxurious Orange County, CA while she goes to school. She loves to travel, go to the beach on sunny California days, and search for the best restaurants in town.