Crying Laughter, Nervous Laughter…At Least We’re Laughing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

https://www.pexels.com/photo/black-and-gray-microphone-164829/

The lights dim, and the spotlight falls on a single mic stand. As the crowd comes to a quiet hush, a booming voice announces, “Put your hands together for our next act!” We cheer enthusiastically and anticipate what will hopefully turn out to be a promising showcase.

This week, our chapter was invited to the Orange County Comedy Festival held at the Amazing Comedy Theater in Huntington Beach. What would have been a typical Thursday night, ended up being an evening of unforeseen stunts, self-deprecating humor, a man who wore really tight jeans and a woman with lice who sang about North Korea while furiously pounding away at her keyboard. Go figure!

Throughout the show, I couldn’t help but admire all of the standup comedians. It takes a lot of courage to get up on a stage and attempt to generate laughter from a group of strangers, especially a tough crowd of six college students. While we forced out a few “haha’s” here and there, there were golden moments of laughter that stemmed from the absurd, yet relatable struggles we all shared. Maybe one day, we’ll reflect upon their cringe-worthy jokes and remember how they left us sprawled across our seats with horrified expressions. Everything considered, we had a blast and learned to find humor in everyday life.

Christine Chen

UC Irvine '19

Christine is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UC Irvine. In her free time, she enjoys reading books, listening to business tech podcasts, running, and making people smile! :)