A Collegiette’s Kitchen: Wiki Wiki Chicken Soup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Jumping back into school doesn’t always mean just jumping back into the books and the studying. Sometimes it means jumping back into the long nights, early mornings, and missed meals. We all know what results from this: sick days. Over the weekend, the cold got the best of me. Most importantly when you’re sick, you have to know what to eat in order to get better. One of my favorite quick-to-cure recipes is called the “Wiki Wiki Chicken Soup” and yes it is my mom’s fixed when I was sick. My grandma would cook this soup when my mom was growing up in Hawaii and would call it “wiki wiki” because in Hawaiian that means “quick quick”. And everyone knows there’s nothing like a good grandma’s chicken soup when the germs come to call! Enjoy!

Wiki Wiki Chicken Soup

Ingredients

• 1 pre-cooked whole chicken
  • 1 bunch celery

• 3 carrots

• 1 medium yellow onion

• 1 bunch flat-leaf Italian parsley

• 2 cloves garlic

• 1 package wide egg noodles (or ramen noodles)

• salt

• pepper

• 4 – 14 oz cans chicken broth

• Italian season or thyme

• 1 jalapeno pepper (optional)

Directions

Add all the following ingredients into a 3 quart pot:
2 cups chopped chicken meat

1 cup chopped celery (2-3 stocks)

1 cup peeled & sliced carrots

½ cup chopped yellow onion

1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley

2 cloves minced garlic

1 teaspoon dried Italian Seasoning or thyme

1/4 tsp pepper

4 cans (14 oz each) chicken broth

Optional: 1 chopped jalapeno pepper

Heat all ingredients above on medium high or high until boiling

Add in 1 cup wide egg noodles (or ramen noodles) and bring to boil again

Reduce heat to simmer; uncovered for 8 – 10 minutes stirring occasionally until noodles and vegetables are tender
Once the noodles and vegetables are tender, the soup is done
Add salt and pepper to taste
Cook’s Notes:
Serves 4
1 serving equals 260 calories

Helpful hint: Although a cliché, chicken soup is actually proven to help colds. It has anti-inflammatory properties which help soothe the throat and eliminate the misery of a common cold. So, slurp up!

Resham is a senior at the University of California, Irvine, with a major in International Studies and a minor in Cognitive Psychology. She is currently a proud member and Editor of Kappa Alpha Theta as well as Assistant Communications Officer of Panhellenic Association. Resham was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA and now enjoys living in luxurious Orange County, CA while she goes to school. She loves to travel, go to the beach on sunny California days, and search for the best restaurants in town.