Climate Change Is Real, Are You Taking Action?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Last week our Her Campus correspondents had the opportunity to attend a screening of Fisher Stevens “Before the Flood”; A film which was a joint collaboration between Leonardo DiCaprio, James Packer, Brett Ratner, Trevor Davidoski, Jennifer Davisson Killoran and Stevens. The event was put on by Global Partners for Sustainability at UCI (GPS) – A newly formed organization on campus that is dedicated to:

1. Increase student and faculty awareness of environmental issues
  2. Provide the tools and space for students and faculty to take practical action in conservation
  3. Introduce students to sustainable movements around the world

The film itself can be described as an eye opening experience that, with the help of Leo, advocates and urges for the acknowledgment of climate change and the pursuit of environmental strategies to help the improve our current situation. We’ve all heard the term “Global Warming”, yet the efforts being made to address it have been rather slow in pace. Clubs on campus such as GPS aim to spark curisosity and conversation, but also serve as a call to action within our local communities. 

While often times we hear about the urgency of fighting against climate change and how it has deteriorated the environment, we must also talk about solutions. As mentioned in the film, there is no more time to debate whether climate change is real – it is time to start acting and changing out practices. Here on campus we have several programs, clubs and organizations dedicated to sustainable practies and research in the field of environmental conservation. 

If you are interested in getting involved on campus, here are some clubs and organizations on campus that might interest you!

• H2Outreach: H2Outreach aims to provide public outreach and education about environmental and water-related issues. For more information, contact: h2outreach@uci.edu
  • Association of Energy Engineers: The AEE student chapter at UCI is designed to allow the exchange of ideas on both the challenges and opportunities facing today’s energy topics. From technology development, to climate change, to energy issues and how industry leaders are addressing them. For more information, contact: Alexa Johnson arj@apep.uci.edu
  • ASUCI Food Security Commission: ASUCI Food Security Commission aims to help eradicate food insecurity on our UC Irvine campus. As part of our efforts in eliminating food insecurity, we are in charge of operating the food pantry on campus housed under the SOAR Center. For more information, contact: foodsecurity@asuci.uci.edu
  • UCI Aquaponics: UCI Aquaponics is a student-led project which features the symbiotic cultivation of plants and aquatic animals in a balanced recirculating environment. For more information, contact: Bill Tomlinson ucirvineaquaponics@gmail.com
  • Climatepedia: Climatepedia is a UCLA and UCI student-led initiative dedicated to spread awareness about climate change. Climatepedia’s mission is to provide a reliable source of climate change information by connecting the public with academic research and perspectives. For more information, contact: Kimberly Duong President kimberlyduong@gmail.com
  • Global Environmental Brigades: Global Environmental Brigades is the world’s largest student-led global health and sustainable development organization. For more information, contact: Drei Nguyen audretn1@uci.edu  
Hello! My name is Shary. I'm a student at UC Irvine with a passion for film, writing and graphic design.