Cailen Fu: UCI Drama’s Triple Threat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Cailen Fu, a 2nd year triple threat drama major, has a lot to look forward to this year. Not only did she secure a spot in the featured dance ensemble in the UCI mainstage play Evita, but she will also spend half of the spring quarter auditioning for roles in New York City. A wonderful dancer, a talented actress, and an incredible singer, Cailen is motivated for success and dedicates every second of her busy day to become a drama force to be reckoned with.

I sat down with a confident and independent Cailen Fu to discuss all of the amazing opportunities on her horizon:

Why did you get into drama?

“It has kinda been the thing I’ve known my entire life. My parents enrolled me in a K-8 drama school when I was 4 that focused on combining education and arts together. I was exposed to theatre and drama when I was really young. My first role was a munchkin in Robin Hood. I really decided I wanted to pursue drama when I was in 8th grade because when I was promoting to high school in Fresno, we had high schools that were focused on different things like law or medicine. I picked the school that focused on the arts; it had a great alumni list such as Audra McDonald, Heidi Blickenstaff, and people from Covert Affairs. I found such joy in knowing I could entertain someone.”

So when applying for college, what drew you to UCI?

“I really do think it has one of the best musical theatre programs on the West Coast. It kind of feels like they took a East coast musical theatre program and took it to the West. A lot of programs around here aren’t as strong because there is so much TV and film influence. I also loved that UCI has the New York Satellite Program — it’s kind of like the drama students version of study abroad.”

What shows will you be involved in this year?

“This year, I will be involved in Evita. I am a featured dance ensemble.”

What are you most excited for this year?

“I’m really excited for the New York Satellite Program. I was really scared because none of my friends in my class were auditioning and we live in New York for four weeks so it’s really tempting to go with friends. I knew I wanted to go because I wanted to go to New York and be in the real world and have the real world kick me in the butt and tell me what I need to work on. Going in the spring, I can come back to California and have two more years here to work on what people said to fix and really get some insight on what I need to work on. I feel like I’m ready to see what’s out there. It’s terrifying because I could go out there and hate New York. It could be awful and I could realize I’m terrible at being an actor in New York. It could also be really awesome, and I could learn more about myself.”

What are you going to be doing in New York?

“We have assignments before we go to New York to look for auditions. We pick the shows we want to audition for, based on personal judgement, but a lot of them are probably going to be ensemble or open call.”

Out of singing/acting/and dancing what is your favorite and least favorite?

“Well, I started with singing. When I was younger I realized very quickly how bad of a dancer I was because I had really long legs and really long arms and I was bony and awkward. So I started dancing because I knew that I need it to be a better performer. Then I really started acting in high school and I did a program at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival the summer of my junior year and I got invited back my Senior year to be an assistant which is where I really learned about acting. But really, everything supplements the other. I love all three.”

What is your dream role in a show? (answer given after much deliberation)

Musical: Bonnie from Bonnie & Clyde or Francesca from Bridges of Madison County

Play: Iris from The Sign in Sidney Brustein’s Window

Do you prefer musicals or plays?

“I like to go see musicals but I love plays. We do theatre to convey the human condition and I think through plays — plays written by August Wilson, Tennessee Williams, Sarah Ruel — they’re all so realistic and bring up so many controversial topics that make you think and I really like intelligent plays. They’re the ones I’m drawn the most to.”

Who is your idol?

“Laura Osnis, someone I truly aspire to be like because she’s such a sweetheart and so authentic and we have very similar voice types and she’s literally played all the roles I ever want to play. And Kelly O’hara has just been in everything — she’s amazing.”