ASUCI Presents Soulstice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

So you got soul? On February 10, 2012, ASUCI presented UCI’s very first talent competition, “Soulstice” which isa student run event that aimed to increase the school moraleby discovering and promoting the original and soulful talent of UCI students. A total of 13 acts under the categories of Solos/Duets, A Capella, Band, and Dancewere judged by a panel of celebrity judges, notable UCI alumniand talent agents from the entertainment industry. The distinguished guest judges included: Gilmore Girls’ Keiko Agena and KC Monnie, AKA Warbler from Gleeand alsoa comedy group called, “The Soulstice League”who performed hilarious live comedy skits, videos and musicals as transitions in between acts for the audience’s entertainment.

As hundreds of UCI students, faculty, and other guests entered the doors of Crawford Hall, they were welcomed with a hyped-up performance by one of UCI’s dance crews, MCIA. The group danced to the songs “Hard” by Will.I.Am and “Lights” by Ellie Goulding with flashing lights that highlighted their formation changes, hand gestures, and other powerful movements. The introduction performance then transitioned to a solo vocalist performance by Jolie Adamson from San Clemente, California who said she “grew up in an environment where acting, singing and dancing were a daily part of life.” She soulfully sang and played the piano to an original piece called “Patient Rain.” As I sat in the first row from the far left section on the floor of the auditorium, I could hear the passion in her sweet yet strong voice and her inner star was shining through as the pink and purple lights from the stage reflected from her pink, sequined top. Other highlighting performances included UCI’s premiere co-ed A Cappella group known as the Vermillion Vocalists who sang their own rendition to Coldplay’s “Paradise” and also a duet/band performance by Telefunk: a band that consists of agraduate from UC Berkeley and a UCI seniorfor the vocals, along with their friend, Mureedwho plays the guitar. The three students performed their own cover to Bruno Mars’ “Amazing” with their original rapping skills and keyboard techniques to create a Kid Cudi-Frank Ocean type of musical vibe that led audience members to actively contribute to their performance by clapping their hands to the beat.

Once the first half of the contestants performed, their was a short intermission that included a music video by the Soulstice League to LMFAO’s “Sexy and I Know It,” which theyrecreated and tweaked into“Smarty and I Know It” with fun, “smarty” lyrics such as “I got an A on my test and I ain’t afraid to show it, show it, show it, I’m smarty and I know it.” The audience reacted with laughter and even said that they liked this version of the song better than the original! Following the end of intermission, the David Lee Project, a group of dancers who were put together as one dance group/crew by David Lee himself, a third year Studio Art Major from Alhambra, California. The group’s act featured songs like “Pump It Up” and “Dance (A$$) Remix” to create an energetic, crowd-pleasing performance. The final contestant of the show, Jazzmine Farol, an 18 year old Freshman ended the show with an original song called “I Am the Reject” which was one of the most inspirational songs I have ever heard before. The song left the audience speechless as she brought smiles to everyone’s faces with her vibrant, peppy soulful self.  

While the night’s festivities came to an end and the judges decided the winners of the show, an exhibition dance group known as “The Prototype,” performed an eclectic, futuristic dance routine that highlighted their tutting skills and robotic movements as a final act. The Soulstice League ended the show with a goodbye song whereall 13 performing acts came on stage, eagerly awaitingto hear the final results. Afterwards,the Soulstice Committee announced the winners by category and each winner received a trophy. As the lights dimmed down and the audience collectively drum rolled, the Soulstice Committee announced Elevator Musicaswinner of the band category. Following, Vermilliaon Vocalists were announced the winner of A Cappella group, the David Lee Project as the winner of the dance categoryand finally Tim Tim who won in the solo vocalist category. But of all the winning acts in all categories, the overall winner of the Soulstice talent competition was Tim Tim.It was no surprise Tim Tim, the 21 year old singer-songwriter from Los Angeles, California, won over the judges panel and the audience with his soulful performance of his original song called “Bringing Back the Soul,” which causedthe crowd to eruptin joyful applause and pure excitement.

ASUCI’s first Soulstice new talent competition was no doubt, a great success! The amount of commitment, leadershipand integrity that the UC Irvine community reflected helped showcase the soulful talent of UC Irvine students and ultimately inspire people to say “I GOT SOUL!”

photocredit: Staff photographer Meghan Lim

Resham is a senior at the University of California, Irvine, with a major in International Studies and a minor in Cognitive Psychology. She is currently a proud member and Editor of Kappa Alpha Theta as well as Assistant Communications Officer of Panhellenic Association. Resham was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA and now enjoys living in luxurious Orange County, CA while she goes to school. She loves to travel, go to the beach on sunny California days, and search for the best restaurants in town.