This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

“In order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, and self-discipline” – Jesse Owens

As a collegiate not bestowed with the gift of sporting excellence, we often find that our academic classes have us going through the motions in a sluggish stupor, from one ring road building to the next. This often leaves us largely unaware of the intense passion, unstoppable ‘determination…self-discipline,’ and jaw-dropping talent, that fosters in the sporting world of UC Irvine’s anteater facilities.

UCI fields a plethora of nationally competitive sports to be proud of, here are but a few 2011/2012 achievements:

• Cross Country, Track & Field- The 18th annual Steve Scott Invitational held in April, saw the women 4×400 relay team-seniors, Amber Middleton, KayC Wharton, Kelly Collins, and junior Ericka Nowell- brake the 1991 previous record of 3:42.87, by posting a 3:42.69 time.

• Basketball- After averaging 8.2 points and 6.7 rebounds per game, UCI’s Adam Folker won the Big West Hustle inaugural award this year.

• Golf – With a 54-hole total of 868, UCI’s mens golf finished sixth in the team competition at the Big West Conference 2012.

• Soccer- In 2011, the UCI men’s team scored 45 goals, including 16 game-winners.

• Tennis- Anteaters’ top tennis player Fabian Matthews is nationally ranked No. 73.

• Baseball- The Big West Pitcher of the Year title has been won by an Anteater for the last four years running.

• Volleyball- UC Irvine won its third NCAA men’s volleyball title this year.

• Water Polo- A repeat recipient, junior Jessy Cardey was named Big West Women’s Water Polo Player of the Year.

With all these sports under UCI’s belt, team as well as individual, morale is high and new visions of success drive the athletes forward. Yet, it is up to us as supporters, to keep the zot-zot-zot spirit of motivation alive, and help our fellow athletic collegiate’s materialize Jesse Owens’ words by turning dreams into a reality.

Rebecca grew up in Hercules California (Norcal), but now lives in Orange County (Socal). She is a senior psychology and social behavior major and management minor at the University of California, Irvine. Rebecca is currently the Co-president/Correspondent at UC Irvine Her Campus Branch and served as the branch's  Social Media Director during the 2010-2011 school year. She traveled around the globe this summer to Paris, Munich, Zurich, Milan, Rome, Venice, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, and Honolulu after studying abroad in London. It was an AMAZING experience. At UC Irvine she is also a member of Kappa Alpha Theta.