This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

You’ve finally had enough of your friend going on about forensic psychology and DNA evidence and decided to explore the crime genre. However, you don’t know where to start. There are simply too many podcasts, documentaries, and books. You don’t want to spend so much time finding something that suits you. Well, you’re in luck because here are some of my recommendations, ranging from Netflix shows to podcasts.

Crime Show by Gimlet

There are so many true crime podcasts on Spotify, but this one stands out because of the stories that it chooses. Not every episode is about a murder or serial killer. They also talk about scams and thefts. One of my favorite episodes happens to be about the theft of the Wizard of Oz’s Dorthey’s ruby red shoes. The way they tell these stories is also captivating. It not only focuses on the perpetrator, but the victims as well. This emphasis on the victims allows them to have agency in telling their story and not be entirely overshadowed by the people who caused great harm. The host, Emma Courtland, interviews all parties and connects everyone’s perspective with her storytelling. This podcast is great for people who aren’t entirely comfortable with the gory details of murder that other podcasts describe. You can ease your way into the genre with some ghost stories and telephone scams.

None Shall Sleep by Ellie Marney (2020)

If you enjoyed the film Silence of the Lambs, then you will absolutely enjoy Ellie Marney’s None Shall Sleep. It is a story of two teenagers, who are marked by serial killers in different ways, being recruited by the FBI. Due to their unique pasts, they are brought in to investigate a series of murders of teenagers and to collect insight from an infamous teenage serial killer Simon Gutmunsson. As they attempt to gain more information from Simon, will the duo survive the games he plays? 

The pacing is fast, keeping you constantly engaged. From one crime scene to another, you’re alongside the duo and their race against the clock to catch the perpetrator. I finished the book in a day because of how easily the book pulled me in. It also dives into forensic psychology and the mind of a serial killer for those interested in the psychology aspect of true crime. In terms of the characters, it felt refreshing to read well-written teenage characters who each have their unique flaws. Marney slowly reveals their backstories throughout the book as the two characters’ relationship grows. The reader can simultaneously see what these characters are doing and why they are doing so. However, as a warning, some parts of the book can be quite graphic so please read with caution.

Mindhunter

Netflix’s Mindhunter is a two-season show about the formation of the Behavioral Analysis Unit in the FBI. This show is all about forensic psychology and the development of the main theories and concepts.

Special Agent Tench and Ford work alongside Professor Carr to create a study into the psychology of serial offenders. Throughout their journey, they face many professional and personal challenges in their pursuit of knowledge. The inclusion of these characters’ different personal storylines also makes this show different from feeling like a documentary. 

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (1994)

Truman Capote’s In Cold Blood is based on the murder of the Clutter family. When hearing about a tragedy in many shows, documentaries, or news sources, the victims aren’t very well known. However, Capote takes time to introduce the reader to each family member. He spends just as much time, if not more, with the Clutter family as the murderers. When I first read this book, I felt really attached to the family, and my heart ached by the end of the story. The book effectively added the human effect that many news articles can’t capture. Capote constructs two storylines, one for the murderers, and the other, for the Clutter family. He switches between the two throughout the book until they intertwine. The reader can see the buildup, and the anticipation grows. 

Coffeehouse Crime

Last, but not least, we have Coffeehouse Crime. This is a Youtube channel that does in-depth reporting of its cases. This channel’s storytelling ability is concise and respectful to the victims. Even when a case had so many details and moving parts, the channel managed to organize everything in a way that I could understand the bigger picture. They also include the societal and cultural context that has relevance to cases. Also, the cases mentioned aren’t the same serial killer stories that everyone is well aware of. Many of the videos are of crimes that no one has even heard of.

These are some of my true crime favorites and recommendations for those interested in exploring the genre. There are so many subgroups of the topic, from food Youtube creators to group discussions online. Whatever you’re interested in, there will be something for you.

Katelyn Nguyen

UC Irvine '25

is binging true crime documentaries and matcha lattes. She is always buying another book even though she has several waiting at home for her.