christmas ornamentsjpeg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
christmas ornamentsjpeg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pexels

6 Christmas Songs from 2020 to Add to Your Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

This year could bring me to tears, but alas, it’s time to spread Christmas cheer. I know the holidays are going to look a little different this year, but that shouldn’t stop you from relishing the Christmas season. We have been stuck in quarantine for several months. We need Christmas now more than ever. So, it is time to put on some Christmas music and dance around your house. Below I compiled a list of six new Christmas songs to add to your playlist: 

1. I Need You Christmas (Jonas Brothers)

Following last year’s success of “Like It’s Christmas,” the Jonas Brothers have once again blessed our ears with another Christmas song. “I Need You Christmas” is a soft piano ballad that reminiscences the joys of spending Christmas with family and friends. This song will truly have you all up in your feels. 

2. Underneath the Mistletoe (Kelly Clarkson & Brett Eldredge)

Kelly Clarkson’s Christmas album Wrapped in Red is *chef’s kiss.* Ever since, I have been patiently waiting for her to create another and this year she finally delivered. She teamed up with country music star Brett Eldridge to bring us yet another Christmas bop. “Underneath the Mistletoe” is an upbeat Christmas love song that will have you dancing around your Christmas tree. 

3. Holidays (Megan Trainor feat. Earth, Wind & Fire)

I have to admit I’m not a huge fan of Meghan Trainor, but any song with Earth, Wind & Fire is guaranteed to be great and “Holidays” is no exception. This song features the band’s signature funky sound with Meghan Trainor’s classic vocals. I will surely be playing this one all month long. 

4. Snow (Leslie Odom Jr.)

Hamilton’s Aaron Burr has released another Christmas album! On Twitter, Leslie Odom Jr. announced this album by writing, “we sang our hearts on this album. We needed to.” And boy did he deliver. His single, “Snow” celebrates the joys of Christmas. This song has such an infectious beat that it will surely brighten any mood. 

5. Another Year (Finneas)

I love every song Finneas releases, so imagine my excitement when I found out he released a Christmas song — his very first Christmas song! This piano ballad, which he said was written a year ago, expresses the joys of spending the holidays with the ones you love most. I foresee myself listening to this even into the new year. 

6. Oh Santa! (Mariah Carey feat. Ariana Grande and Jennifer Hudson)

I know this is technically not a new song. “Oh Santa!” was first released in 2010, but it has been rereleased a decade later with the addition of two female powerhouses — Ariana Grande and Jennifer Hudson. The three singers take turns singing the iconic lyrics before joining forces for the chorus. This new rendition proved why Mariah Carey is the queen of Christmas. Oh and can we talk about that Mariah and Ariana harmony towards the end? It was angelic. If you have not heard this one yet, what are you waiting for!

There were so many great songs written this year, but I could not have possibly listed them all. Instead, I compiled a list of some of my new favorites. I hope these songs bring you as much joy as they bring me. Happy Holidays!

home alone new year
Giphy

Taylor is a fourth year Psychological Sciences and Criminology double major. As a born and raised Northern Californian, she is passionate about the outdoors with hiking and camping being some of her favorite activities. When she is not doing that, she can also be found exploring record shops, watching Netflix, or trying to relive her soccer glory days.