This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

The sexual liberation movement, or the sexual revolution, refers to the social movement made to change societal perspectives regarding sexuality and sexual behavior. It was a move towards promoting bodily autonomy and independence, and away from the traditional societal attitudes of heterosexuality and monogamy.  This movement began in 1960s due to the debate surrounding abortion then rose in promienence in the 1980s during the AIDs epidemic. 

Today, sexual liberation is still a relevant topic, making its way into the forefront of media attention to the current generation. From movies to television shows, Generation Z is surrounded by a pop culture that is unafraid to discuss previously stigmatized ideas about sexuality. Here are a few movie and television show options with young characters tackling “mature themes” that allow the audience, in turn, to confront topics regarding our sexuality and disprove age-old stigmas regarding sex.

Sex Education (2019-)

Possibly the most on-the-nose option for someone coming of age, Sex Education is one of Netflix’s more popular comedy-dramas that tackles the often controversial topic of sexual education. The story centers high schooler Otis, the son of a sex therapist, who knows much more than the average teenager about the components of love-making. Him and his friends establish their own underground sex clinic in their high school, in which the audience gets to witness and learn the different facets of young people discovering themselves and their sexuality.

Euphoria (2019-)

Euphoria confronts a variety of issues regarding teenage sex, sexuality and relationships. It is definitely a more mature television show that audiences should note before watching (Note — topics of rape and domestic abuse are discussed throughout the show). With a diverse cast of characters that all struggle through their own personal issues and discovering themselves, Euphoria is one of the more intense choices on this list regarding the discussion of young people and sex.

Promising Young Woman (2020)

Speaking of intense choices, the movie Promising Young Woman focuses exclusively on the perspectives surrounding the social issue of current rape culture. It is a dark comedy that explores the aftermath and trauma from sexual assault, and how people can balance the line between revenge or forgiveness. Although the movie is a satire regarding the plot line, its focus is something plenty of people can relate to towards the subject of sexual assault.

Still from the film \'Promising Young Woman\'
Focus Features

Yes, God, Yes (2019)

Yes, God, Yes was a TikTok meme for a brief time about a year ago, but was given high ratings by critics for its depiction of teenagers exploring themselves and their sexuality throughout their adolescence. The protagonist Alice attends a strict Catholic school that bans almost all information regarding sex or sexual activity. The movie is definitely an awkward watch with your parents so reconsider another movie to watch before having a family movie night. Throughout the story, Alice explores her sexual needs and desires, and faces the struggle most teens have regarding their sexualities and their internalized beliefs.

yes god yes, movie poster, natalia dyer
Vertical Entertainment

Easy A (2010)

One of the oldies of the list, this 2010 teenage comedy is a modern take on the famous novel The  Scarlet Letter — another classic example of societal sexual stigmatization. The film stars Emma Stone, and although the fashion and humor may be a tad outdated for 2021, the message is one that still rings true today. The movie revolves around a teenage girl who becomes the victim of a salacious high school rumor regarding her sexual exploits… despite still being a virgin! However, she embraces this newfound “promiscuity” and confronts the topic of sex head-on, providing an entertaining yet honest insight regarding societal attitudes towards sex. 

Societal attitudes toward sex and sexuality continue to change and evolve through the generations, and pop culture is one of the biggest facilitators of this change. These are just some of the many options of movies and television shows available that discuss comfortability in one’s sexuality and sex expression. Thanks to the media that pushes this conversation into the forefront of modern conversation, more and more people will continue to gain awareness about this object and the stigma of sex will lessen.

Kayla Hoang

UC Irvine '25

is probably drinking more green tea than recommended.