5 Easy Meals to Get You Through Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

We are in the midst of midterms, and I don’t know about you, but when I’m studying for tests, I either don’t eat at all or I eat way too much. Regarding the former, I’m the type of girl who will chuck her phone across the room and stick my head in my textbook. I need absolutely no distractions when it comes to studying, these distractions including food. I know it’s not healthy, but if I’m in the middle of writing a paper or reading a chapter, why would I stop to go grab a bite to eat? I’m on a roll! Additionally, I’m usually so engrossed in my work that I won’t even realize I’m hungry until later on. However, there are certain times when I need snacks by my side, usually when it’s late at night and I need to be eating in order to stay awake and be productive. Despite that tendency, the larger issue is usually the not eating. Therefore, I made a list of some of my favorite easy recipes that you can make ahead of time, so you don’t have to take too much time away from your studies to make yourself something to eat. They’ll also keep you full for longer, that way you can have a longer study sesh before your next meal. What are your favorite study meals?

1.       Upgraded Ramen

A classic staple in a college student’s diet, but it can definitely get boring after a while. Try to shake things up by trying out new flavors or throwing in some other ingredients. I used to only eat the plain green Ichiban ramen, but now I love getting the beef flavored chili ramen. I’ll throw in some tofu, an egg, and assorted vegetables like spinach or peas after the noodles are cooked. And voila! This five-minute meal is not only so much tastier, but way more filling. Plus, it only takes a few extra seconds to raid your fridge while your water is boiling to see what you can use to make your meal less basic.  It’s just that simple.

2.       Easy Overnight Oats

For those who pull all-nighters or skip breakfast in order to grab your favorite spot at the library when it opens, you have to try this recipe. The night before, all you have to do is pour some oats in a bowl with some milk, and add whichever toppings you want. Oatmeal can tend to be pretty bland to most people, so don’t be shy with how much stuff you add to it. From fresh fruit or nuts to cinnamon and honey, be sure to jazz your oats up as much as you desire. After your satisfied with your concoction, just throw your bowl into the fridge. By morning, the oats will have absorbed all the milk and resulted in that normal oatmeal texture. You can microwave the oats if you prefer to eat it warm or eat it straight out of the fridge. Remember that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. People say it for a reason, so stop skipping it.

3.       Coffee Protein Smoothie

This is perfect if you’re always on the go. For this recipe, I like to do two scoops of chocolate protein powder, a cup of room temperature or cold coffee, and loads of ice. Blend it all together and pour into a travel mug and you’re good to go. Not only will you get your daily dose of coffee to keep you awake while studying, but you can use this as a meal replacement due to the amount of protein. While I don’t recommend using this as a quick fix for all of your meals, as it is clearly lacking nutrition in a lot of areas, if you’re in a rush and you don’t have time to do make anything else, this is a great option.

4.       DIY Poke Bowls

While this recipe does require a little more prep work than the other recipes, it is definitely worth the time. For this recipe, you’ll need to go grocery shopping in advance to grab your favorite poke bowl ingredients. I tend to gravitate towards salmon, imitation crab meat, seaweed salad, and avocado. Make sure that whatever fish you choose, it is either “sashimi” grade, meaning it can be safely eaten raw, or that it is previously frozen. The last thing you need when you’re stressing out studying is to get food poisoning from your homemade poke bowl. Once you have all of your ingredients, the night before you plan on eating it, cook up some rice and dice your fish into cubes. This is also when you’ll marinate your fish in the sauce of your choice (you can buy some premade sriracha mayo or a bottle of ponzu sauce). The next day, all you have to do is throw everything into a bowl and enjoy! You’ll never want to spend $12 on a poke bowl again. 

5.       Loaded Salad

Once again, this recipe is too easy for its own good. Salads are a quick and easy meal to make, however they can get repetitive. The key to making one of these loaded salads is to do as the name suggests: load it up! Start with your greens of choice, I prefer romaine or spinach, and then the rest is up to you. My favorite pastime is going through my fridge and pantry to see what I can just throw into my meals. This usually includes a variety of beans, veggies, dried fruits, and assorted proteins like grilled chicken or canned tuna. You can even top it off with a diced up a hard-boiled egg or some nuts. These salads are completely up to your personal preferences and are so easy to switch up that it never gets boring. Finish it off with your favorite salad dressing and toss before serving.

So whichever meal you decide to make, whether it is from my list or not, just make sure you’re eating. Studying is important, but so is your health. Just pretend I’m your mother whispering in your ear telling you that you need to eat more, and my life’s mission will be complete.  Happy studying and happy eating!

Elizabeth is a second-year English major at University of California, Irvine. This is her second year as a writer for Her Campus UCI, but her first year as Co-Campus Coordinator. In her free time she loves to write short stories and read fantasy novels.