Life > Experiences

4 Tips For Studying Abroad in Europe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Studying abroad in Barcelona through UCEAP for the fall semester of 2021 has been one of the most enriching experiences of my life, and it has definitely been the highlight of my college career. I was immersed in a new lifestyle, connected with people from all over the world, and ate a bunch of tapas! I developed a brand new perspective of the world and learned just how independent I could be. I loved the city so much that I actually planned to move to Barcelona after I graduate. Living and studying in a foreign city might seem scary and overwhelming at first, but once you adjust to life abroad, you will learn so much about yourself and the world around you. It is an amazing experience, but it does help to get some advice before starting on a new adventure! Here are some of my tips for those who are interested in studying abroad or who have plans to study abroad during their time in college.

Do your research!

I cannot stress this enough! Doing your research is key to making sure you choose the right study abroad program for yourself and get the best experience possible. I know some people who decided to study abroad but didn’t do their research, and they ended up in a program that perhaps wasn’t the best choice for them. Of course, regardless,  there are always going to be certain challenges and culture shocks, but make sure you choose the right place for your studies, interests, and goals (such as learning a language). I did so much research before studying abroad to choose the best possible place for me, and it paid off!

To elaborate on my research process, I first started with a focus on my studies. I had previously chosen Europe since my International Studies major requires geographic focus, so I needed to find a study abroad program somewhere there.. Since not everyone has this requirement, you might start your research based on your interests or goals instead of your studies. I then took into account my goal of perfecting Spanish while studying abroad, so I narrowed down my research to programs in Spain.

There were several cities that I could choose to study abroad in, and it was difficult to decide which one was best for me. I was mainly stuck on deciding between Madrid and Barcelona. Madrid had the most programs because it is the capital of Spain, and it had more internship opportunities. Barcelona had fewer program options, but the courses offered aligned better with my studies. It also matched my interests in being close to the beach. The city seemed like a perfect mix of city and beach, and the mountains were only 40 minutes away from the center! I also found that they spoke another language in Barcelona called Catalan, which piqued my interest in learning a new language in addition to perfecting my Spanish.

Eventually, based on all the research I did, I decided on the University of Barcelona UCEAP program for the fall semester. Every day I was there, I realized I made the right choice to study there because I made sure to do my research! The culture, the academics, the lifestyle, and the languages are all part of why I chose Barcelona specifically. That, and also living out my Cheetah Girls 2 fantasies! Make sure you take the time to read the information about each program so that it matches what you are looking for and you know what you are getting yourself into. 

Keep in Mind Language Barriers and Culture Shocks

For many people, learning a language is one of the main reasons to study abroad because it allows you to become fully immersed in it. All the road signs, directions, and labels force you to learn more every day! However, it can be significantly challenging and overwhelming if you are a beginner. Even if you are more familiar with the language, there are still some language barriers you might encounter.

For example, I knew Spanish before going to Barcelona, but I still faced some barriers because of the different vocabulary that is used only in Spain, as well as the local language of Catalan. There were instances where I couldn’t communicate in Spanish because they didn’t understand the vocabulary I used, and sometimes people would start mixing Spanish with Catalan! Eventually, I picked up the slang and learned some Catalan, but it was a challenge at first, even though I did my research and knew there was another spoken language in Barcelona. So, keep in mind that you might face some language barriers, but at the end of the day, it will help in teaching you to communicate and connect with the locals!

Another thing to remember is that you will experience culture shocks that might take some time to get used to. One of the biggest culture shocks for me was how most stores and banks in Spain close between 2-5 pm every day, and everything is closed on Sunday. At the beginning of my program, I was having stomach problems (probably adjusting to the new foods and tapas I was eating!), and one day my stomach was hurting so bad I needed to get some medicine. Luckily there was a pharmacy a block away from my apartment, so I took the short trip over only to find it was closed because it was a Sunday. For some reason, I thought pharmacies would be an exception because what if you were really sick and needed medicine? Unfortunately, there was nothing much I could do but go back home, curl up on my bed and cope with the terrible stomach pains. I found out a few weeks later that some pharmacies are open on Sunday, but they were much farther away, and I would have been in too much pain to go there. This culture shock left a negative impression on me, but I learned to adjust and made sure to get any medicines and groceries I might need before Sunday!

Arriving in Barcelona, I knew to expect different working hours, but I didn’t realize how it might impact me. Anticipating culture shocks goes hand in hand with doing your research and making sure you know what to expect when you are abroad. There are going to be culture shocks that you can’t always prepare for, but keep in mind some of the cultural differences that you might encounter and how they might affect you!

Look Into Academics and Class Scheduling

Again, this goes with doing your research and planning ahead of time. I highly recommend looking into a program that works with your studies and has a host institution with classes that can give you credits/count towards your major. Many programs give examples of classes you can take, and some programs that are geared to certain majors and subject areas, so be sure to keep an eye out for that. UCEAP has a course catalog that allows you to look at classes that students on previous trips have taken, which gives you a better idea of which program would best suit your studies. It’s also good to look into the class registration process.

For some programs, you choose your classes when you first apply for the program. For others, like my program, you don’t pick them until you get to the country. In fact, I didn’t sign up for classes until one week before they started! Signing up for them so late made scheduling a bit more chaotic and overwhelming, especially since I had to make sure the classes I signed up for would count towards my major requirements and that I was still on track to graduate after winter quarter. Thankfully not all programs are like this, but make sure you look at the different processes, as well as the classes offered when searching for the right program for you!

Set Goals for Yourself

One thing I highly recommend you do is to set down some goals for your study abroad program, like a bucket list! It will help you set some priorities down for what you want to accomplish during your study abroad. For example, your goals might be traveling to other countries, going to specific museums in your city, or trying all the local dishes. It all depends on what you want to get out of your time abroad. Many people on my program wanted to travel as much as possible and visit a new country every weekend. Meanwhile, I wanted to stay near Barcelona and explore the city as much as possible during my study abroad since I knew I would be moving back to Europe after I graduate, and I could travel more then. O

f course, there are more goals than just traveling and exploring the city. You can set personal, professional, and academic goals for yourself to get the most out of your program and grow as a student and individual. These goals can be scoring an internship, getting high grades, taking a solo trip, or taking a language course to fully immerse yourself in the culture. One of my professional goals was to score an internship while abroad because there were internship opportunities within my program. I ended up interning with the Linguistic Services of the University of Barcelona, where I was an English conversation leader, facilitating English conversations for Spanish students so they might improve their speaking skills.

By doing this internship, I was able to develop professional skills and learn more about Spanish culture through the local students, effectively achieving my goals! I would also recommend writing down a general plan of what places you want to see and visit in the city that you are studying abroad in because I guarantee that time will fly and there will be some things you might not get to do before you leave. Make a list of must-see places, so you can at least get those done before your program is over! There are still some museums and attractions in Barcelona I have yet to see because I underestimated the time I had there.

At the end of the day, everyone will have a different and unique study abroad experience. Don’t compare yourself to others and focus on your own goals and needs. I hope this helps, and I highly recommend you take advantage of study abroad opportunities at your university. It will be an amazing, unforgettable experience, and a little less overwhelming if you follow these tips!

Hello! My name is Alannah and I'm a third-year International Studies major and Political Science minor. My Irish and Peruvian background inspired me to learn more about global issues and how to make a positive impact on the world. Outside of school, you can catch me watching period dramas and playing the piano!