Pretty picture of a gratitude journal
Pretty picture of a gratitude journal
https://cleananddelicious.com/how-why-to-start-a-gratitude-journal/

20 Things in 20 Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

On February 22nd, I turned 20 years old. I can already feel the wisdom of old age coursing through my veins…

I kid, but in all seriousness, as I enter my second decade on this planet, I thought it would be interesting to take some time to reflect on what has stood out to me: important lessons I’ve learned, meaningful advice I’ve received, etc. Looking back, it’s crazy to see how much change and growth I’ve undergone, especially over these last three years. From my last year in high school to my new journey as a college student, I’ve had so many new experiences both good and bad that have made me the person I am today (*gag* so cheesy I know. I’m sorry…but it’s true). To cut to the chase, here is my list of 20 things that have shaped me as a person, and maybe they’ll even help/inspire you too:

1. Writing is your best friend. Trust me, nothing will help you get through a bad time more than writing about it. Simply transfer those negative emotions from your mind to the page. Make sure to save them too! You’ll love being able to look back on your old thoughts and emotions.  
  2. No matter how busy someone is, if they care about you, they’ll make time for you. Don’t make time for people who won’t make time for you. 
  3. Honesty is the best policy…usually. User discretion is advised.
  4. Say yes to almost everything (but stay safe kids). Don’t be afraid to try new things but also know and stand by your limits. Completely closing yourself off to new experiences will probably result in regret or at the least: #FOMO.
  5. Remember that everyone is just as confused about life as you are. It’s okay if you don’t know what you’re doing right now because no one else does either. They’re just really good at faking it. 
  6. Take time for yourself to read a good book or watch a new movie. Your mind needs to take a break from reality sometimes.
  7. You can never own too many blankets. Never. Your bank account will forgive you later.
  8. People will come and go from your life but pay attention to who stays. Those folks are the real MVPs right there. Treasure them. 
  9. When in a bad mood, take a drive. Roll down all the windows, blast your favorite music, and enjoy the incomparable view of PCH.
  10. Teach yourself how to cook your favorite foods. It not only saves you money but is also extremely gratifying to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
  11. Trust actions not words. Texting/saying a promise or an apology is the easiest thing in the world. Actually carrying it out is the hard part.
  12. Use your phone less. Snapchat is great and all, but you’re missing out on what’s right in front of you. You don’t need photos and videos of everything you ever experience in life. Your brain has a memory feature for a reason, you know. 
  13. Eat what you want. Work out as much or as little as you want. Your worth is not defined by your weight or waist size. Restrictive eating and excessive exercise may make you physically healthier, but your mental health can suffer as a result.
  14. A bad grade isn’t the end of the world. Mourn your GPA, take a breath, and learn from what you did wrong. Use it as fuel to never let it happen again.
  15. Just as you don’t like everyone you meet, not everyone will like you either. Don’t take people’s opinions of you/or lack of friendship with you personally.
  16. If you are passionate about something, embrace it! Don’t feel guilty or embarrassed for liking something that other people might not like or think is weird. You do you boo.
  17. Travel as much as you possibly can (preferably with friends). Whether its out of the country or even to a nearby city you’ve never been to before, go out and explore new places! You’ll be surprised by how many amazing things you can learn about yourself and others from taking a trip. 
  18. Don’t be afraid to tell people how much you love and appreciate them. This includes friends, family members, significant others, or even your favorite professors. Say it loud, say it proud, say it often. 
  19. There are plenty of fish in the sea so stop settling for bottom feeders. If you catch another catfish, toss them back in the water and try again. Don’t worry, you have an infinite amount of bait to catch a Chilean sea bass – they’re a little more tricky to find but they’re definitely out there.  
  20. Be your own best friend, cheerleader, and mentor. At the end of the day, you only have one life to live so make sure you’re living the life your future self would be proud to see you living.
Elizabeth is a second-year English major at University of California, Irvine. This is her second year as a writer for Her Campus UCI, but her first year as Co-Campus Coordinator. In her free time she loves to write short stories and read fantasy novels.