17 Things I’ve Learned in 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

1. Educate yourself

There is so much to learn. Don’t be easily persuaded. Don’t be a follower based off your friends and/or parents opinions. Do your research and have your own opinions.

2. Tough times show people’s true colors

It is easy to stand by someone during good times, but it is so much harder to be there during tough times. Those who are there through both are worth having in your life.

3. Travel

Get out. As much as you can. Trust me, you’ll regret it later. Now is the time. No kids, no career, get out and live life!

4. Don’t burn bridges

Don’t go to bed angry. Talk out the issues beforehand. You don’t want your last words to be something you’ll regret.

5. Be nice to everyone

And I mean everyone. There is enough cruelness in the world. We need more nice people. Leave people happier than you find them.

6. No one cares, work harder

Harsh, but true. There will always be someone smarter, more qualified, more talented, etc. Work hard at being the best you can be. And then work even harder.

7. Listen

Don’t just wait for your turn to talk. Listen and I mean really listen. You will be surprised at how much listening can benefit you.

8. Stop doubting yourself

That self-doubt turns into reality. The more you tell yourself you cannot do something, you start to truly believe it.

9. Learn to let go

Grudges cause illness. Let. It. Go. Life’s too short and the weight of a grudge is too heavy. No doubt people will make mistakes and piss you off. Move on, learn to forgive, and let go.

10. Take the chance

What is the worst that can happen? A lot of times it works out and you will be happy you did.

11. Know your strengths and weaknesses

In other words, be self-aware. It is a great tool and key to success. Use your strengths, work on your weaknesses. Better yourself.

12. Continuously set goals and work towards them

Always work toward something. Never get in the mindset that you have nothing to work toward because that is a sad place to be. Set a goal, achieve it, set another, work toward it, crush it, repeat.

13. Find an outlet

Everyone needs something that is theirs. An escape. Whether it’s reading, painting, meditating, etc. Always have something you can lean on when the stress/anxiety levels are high.

14. Everything happens for a reason

And don’t you forget it. 

15. Limit social media

Get off social media and live. Everyone needs a social media detox. You will be surprised by how great you will feel. As if you suddenly have this amazing life to live.

16. Go outside and get a breath of fresh air

Take a stroll or sit at the beach. Just be outdoors. There’s so much beauty outside of your home or work so enjoy it while you can. Get out and live! Truly and deeply live.

17. Don’t regret anything

Everything you have been through has made you who you are. Don’t regret doing something because at one time, it was exactly what you wanted.