This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Galentine’s Day is most commonly celebrated on February 13th or 14th, where many people spend time with their friends and show their appreciation for them. This is also a great time to show some extra love for yourself too. I remember Galentine’s Day was one of my favorite holidays when I was younger because I enjoyed spoiling my friends with stuffed animals and candy. As a young adult, I have continued to do so as my love language for others. The day is obviously a marketing tactic, that pushes people to spend so much money on random stuff for other people, but I think with the pandemic going on, people need extra love right now. 

A great way to celebrate Galentine’s Day when you’re on a budget is to virtually watch movies with your friends! Here are some of my favorite romance movies to watch (not in a particular order):

Girl holding heart in sunset
Photo by Hassan OUAJBIR from Pexels
10 Things I Hate About You

This 1999 gem is hands down the best chick flick ever. The cast is legendary (Heath Ledger is so dreamy), and even if the film is more than twenty years old, the storyline aged really well. I think the movie is one of the best because the main protagonist, Kat Stratford, is so relatable. She is not afraid to take up space and do whatever she wants (I’m living for the bad*ss, Capricorn energy). However, I will acknowledge that the treatment of her in the film was pretty terrible. There are such unfair expectations placed on women that if people apologize to me, I should automatically forgive someone for their actions. Actions speak louder than words. You can watch the movie on Disney Plus.

One Day

Anne Hathaway is one of my favorite actors so I may be biased when recommending this film. The storyline is so well written, but it is really painful to watch. I won’t spoil anything for you, but prepare to watch with tissues next to you. The film will teach you to own up to your feelings for someone and not waste time by contemplating whether or not you should tell someone you love them. (This is the saddest film on the list, so I would not recommend it if you want to watch a movie with a happy ending).

Amélie

Audrey Tautou’s iconic role in this aesthetically pleasing French film makes you wish you could live in France and work at a cafe. Your eyes will be glued to the screen because the writing is extremely clever too. The film gives out huge “main character” energy.

Pink neon love sign
Photo by Shaira Dela Pena from Unsplash
The Photograph

Directed and written by Stella Meghie and starred by Issa Rae and Lakeith Stanfield, The Photograph dives into the process of healing oneself so you will be able to open up to others. Finding the strength to entrust others is difficult, so I am glad that this film is removing the stigma against it. It is also very necessary for more stories about Black love and romance to be portrayed on the screen. You can watch it on HBO Max.

Call Me By Your Name

You may have already seen this film, or have been recommended by your friends to watch it. The production took place in Crema, Italy, so you already know it is a beautiful film about falling in love during the summer. Another plus is that the film was Timothée Chalamet’s breakthrough role. However, if you are triggered by Armie Hammer’s current controversy, I don’t know if you will enjoy the film. This is also a sad movie so I would not recommend it if you want something more uplifting.

All My Life

I have not seen this film yet, but I’ve heard that it has a pretty sad ending. However, I am so happy to see that an Asian American actor, Harry Shum Jr., plays the romantic lead. Asian American men are not portrayed as lovable or attractive in the media, so I hope the film will destroy negative stereotypes. The representation of interracial relationships is necessary as well, so this romantic comedy is what we needed.

Cinderella

Brandy Norwood stars as Cinderella, and Whitney Housten as the Fairy Godmother, in this iconic 1997 musical. The diversity of this film is so amazing, and I really appreciate that it is not forced. It is disappointing that the film industry has not continued with the progress of casting actors of color in different types of roles. As viewers, we should continue to celebrate films like Cinderella. Coming soon on Disney Plus.

silhouette of man and woman kissing at sunset
Photo by Annette Sousa from Unsplash
Always Be My Maybe 

This film was the first movie I’ve ever watched where two Asian Americans (Ali Wong and Randall Park) wrote and acted in a romantic comedy. Many white writers will portray Asian American women to only be interested in relationships with white men, which is extremely damaging and degrading. I am so glad to see more Asian American actors play romantic leads, and star in stories where Asian American characters embrace love and romance. This is the funniest film on the list – you can watch it on Netflix.

But I’m A Cheerleader

Natasha Lyonne’s acting range is so phenomenal – I really think she is one of the industry’s best actors. In this ultimate rom-com, Lyonne plays a cheerleader who is sent to a conversion camp where she explores and embraces her sexuality. At the camp, she develops feelings for a rebellious and unashamed teenager who creates a safe space for her.

About Time

Rachel McAdams is the queen of romantic comedies and chick flicks. Movies such as Mean Girls or The Notebook are enjoyed by so many people, but About Time is the most underrated. The story follows a man who gains the power to go back in time. You’ll learn to appreciate the precious moments spent with loved ones and to never take things for granted. You can watch the most heart-warming film on the list on Netflix.

Honorable mention: Love, Rosie, Fools Rush In, The Lovebirds, The Big Sick, Saving Face, The Fault in Our Stars and Enchanted.

Silhouette of two people
Photo by Tori Wise from Unsplash

Rehana is pursuing double degrees in Film & Media and Ethnic Studies with an interest in screenwriting, creative non-fiction, and oral histories. A proud Capricorn, she enjoys spending her time daydreaming about flaky pastries, baby otters and Studio Ghibli films.