This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

In a world dominated by digital communication, receiving a handwritten letter can give a special, personal touch often lacking in more impersonal forms of communication. As technology improves, it’s easy to connect with family and friends who live far away, even abroad. Technology enables you to stay connected no matter where you are as long as you have the internet. 

But that’s not the only way to stay connected. I write letters to convey emotions to my loved ones. 

Writing a letter has benefits, both for the writer and the receiver. Here are some reasons why writing a letter can be a good and valuable practice and why I like it. 

Letters are a form of communication that can bridge gaps, whether they are physical or emotional. It allows you to express your thoughts, feelings, and emotions. I find writing letters therapeutic. From personal experience, I’ve found that letter writing can be a way to release thoughts, reduce stress, and promote mental well-being. The act of writing a letter often involves reflection. It gives me time to think about my relationship with the receiver and recall shared memories that put a smile on my face 

Letter writing is perfect for birthdays, special occasions, expressing gratitude, or just for fun. For example, I write a letter to my grandparents every month. You don’t have to have a reason to write a letter to someone. Anytime is the right time to write a letter. 

You can enhance your gratitude for others by writing them a thank you letter; it helps you express your appreciation in a meaningful way. It can also enhance your sense of mindfulness.

Letters can help maintain connections with your loved ones. Writing to someone can demonstrate that you care about them and are willing to invest time and effort in the relationship.

Writing a letter to your loved ones can be a meaningful and valuable activity that fosters connection and love! It provides a tangible and lasting form of communication that can carry emotions. I’m sure they’ll think it’s a nice surprise once they receive your letter in the mail!