This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Once you see it, you never stop. The Kia Soul is the one car that I never miss when on the road. In fact, once I spot one, I almost always spot two more. When I ask my friends if they see a disproportionate number of Kia Souls on the road, they agree. We’re not alone! 

I’m calling this the #KiaSoulApocalypse. Why are they so abundant? Honestly, the reason is that they are so incredibly cheap. $13,800 for a five-seater car with 109 horsepower that lasts up to 200,000 miles is a deal no one can pass up. 

her campus media

But, the biggest factor explaining why we spot so many Kia Souls is because of their color variety, mainly it’s signature light green color. In my city alone, I have seen dozens of green Kia Souls. According to a 2017 study, 22.25% of all American cars are black and 19.34% are white. Green is certainly an odd choice to make, and one that has the potential to bring resale value down. In fact, only 1.35% of all American cars are green.

Noticing these Kia Souls is a result of the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon, aka the frequency illusion. Taking these green Kia Souls for example, once you see one, your brain adjusts by adding the particular model of the car to its list of things to notice. Basically, your brain is subconsciously scouting out more green Kia Souls on the road. *sigh* Why can’t our brains do this for spotting Harry Styles?! 

Harry Styles singing on stage
Photo by vagueonthehow distributed under a CC BY 2.0 license

Sure, this may all just be explained with scientific facts, but it does not change the fact that I literally cannot stop seeing these cars everywhere. At this point, we should just accept the Kia Soul as the new Volkswagon Bug. 

Anyone down for a road trip game of “soul slap,” a spinoff of the “buggy punch” game?

Aakruti Desai

UC Berkeley '24

Aakruti Desai is currently studying business at UC Berkeley. Her past experiences include being CEO of Studenteer.org and Forward Apparel. She is the host of the FemExec Podcast, published Dear Fellow Immigrant Kids, available on Amazon, and is the CEO of Marketfly.net
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.