Which YA Novel to Read Based on Your Zodiac Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Capricorn (Dec. 22 – Jan. 19): The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Imagine being told all of your life that you will kill your true love with a kiss. Well, that just happens to be the case for Blue Sargent, who is the only non-psychic in a family of psychics. Capricorns will love Blue’s point of view and the relationship that she forms with the Raven Boys, four boys who attend the private school in her town. Humorous, magical, and confusing at times in the best way possible, I can’t think of a better book for Capricorns.

Aquarius (Jan. 20 – Feb. 18): Alienated by Melissa Landers

This book is a must-read for every sci-fi loving Aquarius. Hot alien love interest? Check. An ambitious main character? Check. Cara Sweeney is hosting an exchange student who just happens to be an alien. Unfortunately, not everyone approves of aliens being on earth, and things don’t go exactly as Cara had envisioned. Alienated is a fun read that will have every Aquarius “living” out their sci-fi dream.

Pisces (Feb. 19 – March 20): Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

An emotional and fun read that will hook Pisces from the very first page. When her mom moves to Connecticut, Amy has no choice but to travel there from California. Due to her fear of driving, she enlists the help of Roger, the son of a family friend. Throughout their road trip, they visit various fun places. While experiencing different parts of the US, they learn more about themselves and about each other.

Girl Holding Map Inside Vehicle
Hannah Nelson / pexel

Aries (March 21 – April 19): Whatever Life Throws at You by Julie Cross

With their sportiness and determination, Aries are sure to see themselves in Annie Lucas, who is set on becoming a track star. Annie’s dad becomes the new pitching coach for a Major League Baseball team, which completely changes their lives. Annie finds herself falling in love with one of her dad’s players, Jason Brody, of whom her father would never approve. This romance proves to be quite the scandal, to which Aries will be instantly drawn. Whatever Life Throws at You is more than just a romance novel, as it also focuses on Annie’s relationship with her dad and her dedication to running.  

Taurus (April 20 – May 20): Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

With the brave and fearless characters in this book, Tauruses are in for quite the adventure. Children of Blood and Bone takes place in a world where magic disappeared and where a brutal king rules. With the help of Princess Amari, Zélie is determined to bring back the magic. This book is the perfect binge-read for Tauruses who are fascinated by fantasy and magical elements.

Gemini (May 21 – June 20): The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins

This epic prequel to The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is about a young Coriolanus Snow. While fans of The Hunger Games know Snow as a ruthless leader, this prequel shows him in a different light, long before he was president of Panem. Geminis will enjoy the competitive atmosphere present in this book and will be drawn to Lucy Gray, the charismatic and talented tribute from District 12 whom Coriolanus is assigned to mentor.

Tristan Pineda
Tristan Pineda / Unsplash

Cancer (June 21 – July 22): Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi

As the emergency contact for those who are close to them, this is the perfect read for Cancers. Penny and Sam, the main characters, are each struggling in their own way. They develop a connection via texting and quickly become close despite not actually seeing each other. The bond that Penny and Sam form is sure to resonate with Cancers, who are the friendliest of the zodiac signs.

Leo (July 23 – Aug. 22): The Wrath and the Dawn by Renée Ahdieh

With their confident and passionate personalities, Leos are bound to enjoy reading this retelling of the Arabian tale A Thousand and One Nights. The Wrath and the Dawn follows Shahrzad as she marries Khalid, the Caliph of Khorasan, to seek revenge against him for killing her best friend. Every former bride of Khalid has died, but after surviving her first night, Shahrzad discovers that not everything is as it seems. Just as Khalid and Shahrzad find themselves falling in love, so will Leos with the magical world of this book.

Virgo (Aug. 23 – Sept. 22): Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

I can’t think of a better way to describe this novel other than as Harry Potter but with other supernatural characters. The main character, Sophie Mercer, who happens to be a witch, is banished to a boarding school with other supernatural beings. While there, Sophie makes friends and even enemies as she uncovers a mystery surrounding a secret society. Virgos will definitely relate to Sophie’s fun point of view.

Harry Potter World Hogwarts
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Libra (Sept. 23 – Oct. 22): To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han

As the most romantic of the zodiac signs, Libras will be obsessed with Lara Jean and Peter’s story (if they aren’t already). Witty and relatable, Lara Jean is hard not to love. She writes a letter to every guy with whom she falls in love. After each letter is mysteriously sent out, she has to deal with the consequences, especially since one of the letters was sent out to her sister’s ex-boyfriend. She agrees to a fake relationship with Peter Kavinsky, who also received a letter, to avoid her sister’s ex. Even better than the romance is the relationship that Lara Jean has with her sisters. 

Scorpio (Oct. 23 – Nov. 21): Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Scorpios will be sure to love this fantasy novel about a gang set on pulling a heist. The complex world in this story was beautifully designed. It’s hard not to root for the five main characters, all of whom have an interesting backstory. 

Sagittarius (Nov. 22 – Dec. 21): Wanderlost by Jen Malone

With their love for traveling and anything adventurous, Sagittariuses will be living out their dream by reading this book. After her sister gets into trouble, Aubree agrees to pretend to be her while taking over her summer job. This is not an ordinary summer job since it involves leading a group of elderly folks on a bus tour throughout Europe. The bus tour proves to be a challenge for Aubree because she does not have her phone or information about the tour destinations, and she finds herself falling in love.

Brianna Astorga

UC Berkeley '21

Brianna is a senior at UC Berkeley studying Media Studies and Sociology. She loves binge watching shows on Netflix, reading fantasy novels, and is obsessed with Taylor Swift's latest album.
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.