Amelia Kramer-Typewriter Vintage Antique Store
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus
Life > Academics

WHAT YOUR FAVORITE FONT STYLE SAYS ABOUT YOU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

If you’re like me, you spend lots of time in Doe Library typing away at various Google Docs for school, clubs, greek life, etc. Most of the time, our focus goes towards the content we’re writing, but what about the font we choose to use? Just like the clothes we wear, the food we eat, and the people we surround ourselves with, the style of font we gravitate towards unveils a certain element of our personality. Which font are you?

Comic Sans MS

If you gravitate towards font style “Comic Sans MS,” you’re a creative and playful individual. You light up any room you enter and are loved by everyone. Odds are, you participated in Associated Student Body (ASB) in high school and now contribute to a variety of clubs at Cal. You’re super outgoing and aren’t afraid to step into leadership roles both in and out of the classroom. You jump at any opportunity to express your creativity, hence the use of this font!

Playfair Display

If your go-to font is “Playfair Display,” you’re sophisticated and unique! Most weekends, you prefer a night in with some gal pals or a good book over a frat party. You love to spend time with friends on the glade in between classes, and always give the best advice. You might be shy at first, but those close to you can attest that you’re full of humor and personality. After college, you might consider moving to a big city, where you’ll be seen cozying up in a boutique coffee shop chatting with colleagues.

Times New Roman

If you tend to stick to the font “Times New Roman,” you’re very academically driven. Procrastination? Never heard of it. You live an organized life and everyone always compliments you for how “put together” you always appear. You’re most likely to be found studying in Morrison, surrounded by a dark academia environment. You love wearing Doc Martens 8053 loafers and sweater vests and aren’t afraid to pull up to class ‘fitted up. Reliable, loyal, and headstrong, your friends know they can count on you for just about anything. You’re an amazing person to converse with, as your insight is always valued.

Courier New

If you prefer the font style “Courier New,” you’re an old soul (in the best way). Odds are, you love to write; this font transports you back to the era of typewriters. You’re ambitious and hardworking, going the extra mile to build meaningful relationships with your professors. In 10 years you’re likely to headline large newspapers, perhaps returning to your cozy brick loft in NYC after a long day as Editor-in-Chief. You might also come across as a hopeless romantic, hoping to find a slow and sincere love instead of participating in hookup culture. Those close to you can feel the love that your big and beautiful heart radiates.

Arial

For those of you who stick to the “Arial” style font, you’re the life of the party. Your bubbly personality leads to a great first impression, and you can hold a friendly conversation with almost anyone. You tend to go with the flow and come alive at parties during the weekends. You’re most likely to be found lounging on the glade in between classes or socializing at Golden Bear Cafe (GBC). Your positive energy never fails to make someone smile!

While this font-to-personality pipeline surely doesn’t apply for each user, it trivially reflects the various types of empowering, inspiring women that embody the UC Berkeley campus. So, the next time you have some writing to do, which font will you use?

Katelyn Kolberg

UC Berkeley '25

Hi!! I’m Katelyn and I’m currently a freshman at UC Berkeley. I love writing about the role that fashion plays in our society; I plan to enter the editorial realm of the fashion industry! Besides writing, I love thrifting, grabbing coffee, and conversing with other young writers!