Life > Experiences

WHAT IT MEANS TO SEE LEXI THOMPSON’S PGA DEBUT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

I remember watching Lexi Thompson compete in-person at a few LPGA tournaments growing up. I remember watching her resiliency after imperfect shots; it’s hard to not be mesmerized by her confident persona. I always admired how well she carried herself even after shots or holes that didn’t go her way. She could miss her target on one shot, but then make a great comeback on the next. 

On Oct. 12, Thompson made her PGA debut at the Shriners Children’s Open. She remains one of the most well-known, visible names on tour. According to the LPGA, she has multiple wins, including a major, under her belt. She is only the seventh woman to ever compete in a PGA tournament, which is such an impressive feat. While I obviously was unable to see this live, I was periodically looking out for updates on her rounds as she played. ESPN reports that Lexi didn’t make the cut and therefore didn’t advance to the third and fourth rounds. However, she still held her head up high for finishing strongly in her historical debut.

Watching golf in-person is the kind of experience that’s hard to put into words. I’m thankful that my dad is well-versed in golf and has coached me through the sport; he’s the one who takes me to these events and is the reason I’ve been lucky enough to receive this much exposure to the game. 

Those who don’t know golf might see it as a game where people just walk around hitting a ball with a long stick. However, as someone who has played four years of high school golf, I can say that golf is definitely more than simply hitting a ball with a club; it’s a game that challenges me mentally and physically. It’s far from being the easiest sport to play, which is why I have an appreciation for how the professionals compete. 

Words can’t describe the feeling of hearing their shots soar into the air reaching distances I could never imagine myself hitting. It’s amazing to watch how they can keep their composure in front of a crowd even when they’re not having their best day. 

Thompson’s showing in a men’s tournament was special to me. It’s a very human thing to want to prove yourself, and I’ve always felt that as a young woman in golf. I’ve always thought about the stereotypical “for a girl” microaggressions. No one usually says “you hit pretty far for a guy.” It’s usually “you hit pretty far for a girl.” Men usually tee off farther back than women, making their distance to the hole greater; I’ve been told that my rounds may be easier because I don’t have to hit as far, which would sometimes come off as condescending.

“It’s a very human thing to want to prove yourself, and I’ve always felt that as a young woman in golf.”

Sierra Kushi

Did my shorter yardages deem me as someone who didn’t have to work as hard as a man? What did I have to do to show everyone that I could play the game just as good or better even if I did not hit it as far? While I know I don’t hit the same distance as guys, I never appreciated how people used these numbers and distances as a way to degrade women’s athletics. 

However, Thompson drove the ball from the men’s tees. I love that she showed the world that she could match the men. Plus, she’s not even the first to do so, which reminds us that it’s about time women are shown more respect not only in golf, but in the world as well. 

Lexi Thompson’s performance showed that women never had to prove anything to men. It’s a truth that I’ve always known, but it’s also a truth that I needed to feel. She’s one of many trailblazers, and I look forward to seeing what else she and the women of the LPGA could do for the future of women’s golf.

Sierra Kushi

UC Berkeley '27

Sierra is a freshman at the University of California, Berkeley. She started writing for the Berkeley chapter in the Fall of 2023 and is currently serving as a Digital Editor in the Spring of 2024. Sierra has experience in writing and leadership. She may be undecided about her major, but she loves studying in the community that is UC Berkeley! She loves to write about personal experiences, books, and music. In her free time, you'll find her reading romance novels, hanging out with friends, or listening to Taylor Swift on repeat. You may run into her at a coffee shop or the bookstore.