This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Have you ever stood in front of your closet, ready to get rid of the clothes you no longer wear but unable to let go because the piece of clothing holds too much sentimental value?

I was thinking of this the other day when someone confronted me for having “too much stuff.” I realized I struggle to let go of things, clothes being my worst vice. But how could I throw away something that carries some of my best memories? The clothes I wear are somehow a part of these memories. More importantly, my clothes and my style are a part of my story.

This is why I could never get rid of that dark ocean blue dress my sister got custom-tailored for her in Thailand and that I wore to her wedding. Or the beige vintage tee with a bunch of people’s faces on that I decided to wear to a concert where I partied with two strangers. Or the yellow one that I wore the next day when we went swimming together in the middle of the night. And I will for sure not throw away the red dress with embedded flowers that was my companion at my first homecoming dance.

My favorite piece of clothing is none of these, but a brown blouse with some white line-art print on it. This funny-looking blouse was my sister’s before she gave it to me, and I honestly don’t wear it much. However, it is perfect if the occasion is screaming “dress up” but you’re feeling like something a little more casual.

Seven months ago, I decided that I was going to wear it to the third date with a guy on Tinder I had just met.

The first date was at a bowling bar, the second at karaoke, and now he was going to impress me with his cooking skills. We had the best evening, but little did I know that he had more than one evening in his mind. As soon as I finished eating, he asked me if I wanted to come home with him for the weekend.

Before I knew it, I was on the bus, driving for two hours to get to the parent’s home of a random Tinder guy that I just met. We went skinny dipping, ate so much good food, laughed, and stayed up talking all night long. I stayed one night, and then another, and then one more, each night wearing my blouse.

I fell in love while wearing this blouse. I just can’t throw a part of that memory away.

Elise Sandvik

UC Berkeley '23

Hi! I'm currently studying global studies, and spend most of my time working with human rights. Besides that I have a love for fashion, art and creativity in general – and most important: storytelling. Ever since I discovered the art of journalism, I haven’t been able to put my pen down. Not just because I love writing, but because there are just too many stories to be told. Each unique, personal, and inspiring stories about individuals, projects, interests, or hobbies. These sorties deserve to be told – they deserve to be heard. Thank you for taking the time to read them. Elise