We Day California: The Me to We Generation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

“Today is all about love, change and peace” – Cody Simpson

On February 25th, Her Campus UC Berkeley had the grand privilege to attend the inspiring We Day California event in San Jose, Ca.

What is We Day you ask? We Day is an event that brings together world renowned speakers and performers to share their passion for change to an audience consisting of educators and students. The unique thing about We Day is that you cannot purchase a ticket to the event; you have to earn it through service such as volunteering or taking action on one local or global cause of your choice. 

Craig Kielburger along with his brother Marc founded We Day, which has become one of the largest charitable causes in the world. The Kielburger brothers also founded the international charity; Free the Children and the innovative social enterprise, Me to We. During the Q&A session before We Day started, Craig made sure to state that this generation of youth is the “ME to WE generation!”

The main goal at Wednesday’s We Day was to create a global platform for social change. The event was broken down into different empowerment classes in which unique speakers spoke to the audience about their experiences changing the world. 

So many amazing speakers and artists took the stage including Microsoft’s YouthSpark team AfriGalTech, who we had the honor to have lunch with earlier in the week. Microsoft YouthSpark is a companywide initiative designed to create opportunities in education, employment, and entrepreneurship for young people around the world. Microsoft along with Allstate and Unilever made possible We Day thanks to their sponsorships.

We thank Microsoft for inviting us to experience our first We Day and giving us the opportunity to meet such inspiring individuals.

“What we really learned today are the different ways WE can come together to change our world.” -Marc Kielburger

Photo Credit: Microsoft, WeDay.com

Hi my name is Monica Morales and I am a sophomore at UC Berkeley. I am majoring in Media Studies and hope to one day work in television or for Vogue magazine. I love to travel and I love sports. I am currently a student ambassador for both Bobble water bottles and for sports app Fancred.