Girl Holding Vinyl Record
Girl Holding Vinyl Record
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

The Top 5 Songs That Capture 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

5) “We Didn’t Start the Fire” – Billy Joel (1989)

This classic sets a spirited mood to any ongoing in the neighborhood. Who started the Australia fires? We don’t know, but we do know that it certainly wasn’t Billy Joel. Who was the perpetrator behind the disastrous Los Angeles fires that destroyed many homes in Malibu and other bush-laden regions? We don’t know, but we do know that it wasn’t Billy Joel. This is substantiated by Joel’s attorney’s comment on the case: “We didn’t start the fire”. Case closed. Also, it’s a good song. 

4) “Sk8r Boi” -Avril Lavigne (2002)

He was a skater boy. She said “See you later, boy!”. She referred to him as “boy”. He remembers the others who had called him that patronizing title, a title bestowed upon him by likes of childhood bullies, elder man in diners, and his father. John Atkinson was an acceptable father. He took his son out to the quintessential ballgames, so necessary for the upbringing of a young man. When little Atkinson cried upon falling from his bike, John felt a searing pierce through his overdeveloped heart. The pain was indescribable; he had never felt such intense, visceral, unadulterated emotion as he lunged towards the son to alleviate his pain, vowing to rid of a world in which such pain was possible. He cared for the boy, so much so that he knew he must depart. The burden of emotion was excessive, ostentatious in its iron-clad grasp of him. They deserved better. Goodbye, dad. See ya later, boi! 

Two people listening to music
Via Nicholas Githiri on Pexels
3) “Smells Like Teen Spirit” – Nirvana (1991) 

This highly anticipated, newly released single demonstrates one, undeniable fact: there’s nothing like the late 90’s that really captures the essence of 2020. 

2) “I Want It That Way” – Backstreet Boys (1999)

One way. Two way. Red way. Blue way. What is desire, if not just a human construct, used to distract us from the true, core tenants of life? If we subscribe to the idea that there is one way in which to act, we have fallen victim to the patriarchy, white-Anglosaxon stronghold possessing this country, and any other institutional force I can blame for my father not loving me. 

1) “Bagatalle No. 25 in A Minor, WoO 59 Für Elise” – Beethoven 

Modernity strives for innovation. That’s why little-known indie-pop artist Ludwig van Beethoven’s newest release is breaking ground on these pothole-ridden streets. Beethoven’s melodic genius may be attributed to his strict upbringing, or perhaps due to the influence Kesha has had on young Ludwig. Bagatalle’s chorus is its catchiest part, bringing joy to the world and uncharted territory to 2020.

Melody Niv

UC Berkeley '20

Melody Niv is a senior at U.C. Berkeley studying political science and history. She is interested in international politics, counterterrorism, Jewish studies, and media studies. In her free time, she does stand-up comedy and plays with Larry David figurines.
After three years at Cal, Brianna Brann graduated UC Berkeley in 2020 with a double major in Economics and Media Studies! She is originally from Santa Clarita in Southern California, but she loves the weather, nature, and people in the Bay Area. In addition to her unmatched passion for film and television, she also enjoys visiting the beach, playing with her dog, and hiking outdoors!