Top 4 Moments from Netflix’s Anne with an “E”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Full disclosure: This summer was the first time I ever watched Netflix. I used my one free month trial to join the Netflix cult that dominates US college students (and students globally as well) and can safely say that I do not regret the time that I have spent on availing this subscription service.

I also never knew how addictive streaming television can be. No ads? No commercials? Ultra HD? Netflix seems to be a slice of heaven with multiple mini-slices of paradise wedged in between depending on which show is being binged (excuse the alliteration).

I highly recommend the movies, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, as well as Sierra Burgess is a Loser, but, if you’re looking for a heartwarming, cheerful, well-scripted and delightfully enchanting show, I would advise you to watch both seasons of Anne with an “E”.

Anne with an “E” is based on the evergreen 1908 classic children’s novel by Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery. This 2018 show, according to an online description, is about life in Green Gables:

“Anne is a coming-of-age story about an outsider who, against all odds and many challenges, fights for love and acceptance and her place in the world. Set in Prince Edward Island in the late 1890s, the series centers on Anne Shirley (Amybeth McNulty), a young orphaned girl who, after an abusive childhood spent in orphanages and the homes of strangers, is mistakenly sent to live with an aging sister and brother. Over time, 13-year-old Anne will transform the lives of Marilla (Geraldine James) and Matthew Cuthbert (R.H. Thomson) and eventually the entire small town in which they live with her unique spirit, fierce intellect and brilliant imagination. Anne’s adventures will reflect timeless and topical issues including themes of identity, feminism, bullying and prejudice.”

Warning: The following article does contain spoilers, so read at your own risk!

Anne returns to Green Gables

Season 1, Episode 2, “I Am No Bird, And No Net Ensnares Me”

The scenery of this episode will leave you breathless. The choice of music as well as the gradual development of the character traits of the Cuthbert family are so well-scripted, that you will consider including some praise for Montgomery in your daily prayers for writing such a gorgeous novel. Seeing Marilla show some care to Anne and Matthew developing a sense of fatherhood for an orphan girl warmed my heart so much, and when Anne returned to Green Gables as a daughter returning to her “home,” the butterflies in my stomach leaped a little. This is definitely one of the key moments in the show.

Anne meets Gilbert

Season 1, Episode 3, “But What Is So Headstrong As Youth?”

I simply could not help but start with this one. Anne and Gilbert are my favorite ship. They are destined for each other and the respective actors who play both characters share an incredible chemistry that is undeniable on-screen. Gilbert is the true gentleman and is high up on my list of favorite fictional males, second to Peter Kavinsky of course. The way these two people make eye contact is something that makes me scream within the walls of my dorm room. Pay attention to the dialogue; it’s intriguing and highly captivating for such young but talented actors! This epic meet-cute, of two young teenagers who begin to develop an understanding for each other as well as a growing attraction, will surely be one of your favorites from the show.

Anne and Marilla hug for the first time

Anne was mistreated on her very first day of school at Avonlea and ran back home to Marilla, her mother. Crying profusely, she embraced Marilla as soon as she got through the door. This scene is highly touching and holds immense sentimental value, as we see Marilla express her emotions and love for Anne for the very first time. The dialogue in this scene is impeccable, as Marilla comforts Anne: “There, there, child….I understand….You have been judged harshly….I know exactly how you feel.” This scene marks the first scene where we see Marilla and Anne bond over a sense of shared suffering. It tugged at my heartstrings instantly!

Anne emerges as a young feminist

Season 1, Episode 1, “Your Will Shall Decide Your Destiny”

Anne argues that girls can do anything that men do, including farm work. Her stance on the equality of men and women is clear here, and made me smile as a fellow feminist. To see her attitudes within the context of a rural, narrow-minded town of Green Gables, contrasting starkly with those of her slightly progressive but still backward-minded mother Marilla, is a refreshing intellectual experience, to say the least. The streak of independence and rebellion in Anne’s bright personality is inspiring within the ordinary town of Green Gables; slowly, throughout Season 2, we see how Anne infuses this sense of feminism within the “kindred spirits” of everyone around her. Watching – and enjoying – season 2 is a must!

Season 2 introduces viewers to the character of Cole, a smart and gifted artist who happens to be gay. The introduction of such a complex character into the rural setting of Green Gables spells interesting twists for the story. So there you have it, collegiettes! This list is not exhaustive at all; the moments you will love in this show are countless and nearly in every single episode. This emotionally riveting but highly enjoyable show will leave you hungry for more, but Season 3 doesn’t come out until the next year. The beautiful cinematography, the great acting, the carefully-chosen dialogue, the well-written script, the well-constructed costume designs, the jaw-dropping photography, the highly interesting plot, the denouement, as well as every key element within the show, make the moments made within this television show highly special ones, especially for Anne of Green Gables’ lovers.

Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.