Wellness > Mental Health

TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS AS AN EXCHANGE STUDENT AT UC BERKELEY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

At first glance, going abroad for an exchange program seems really cool, especially under the idea of the so-called ‘ American Dream’ many Asian students have. The prospect of going to UC Berkeley is particularly attractive for two reasons: one, it is often ranked the best university in the US, and two, there is a large community of international students as well as students from different backgrounds.

But, if I am being  honest, being an exchange student here has been lonelier than I originally thought. It is hard to make new friends, and questions like “where are you from?” or “ what’s your name and major?” becomes repetitive. It is easy to lose touch with ‘friends’ you’ve just met, and sometimes it gets depressing and anxiety-inducing. 

Nevertheless, here are some tips to help you make friends on campus and find a sense of belonging. 

1. Build a great relationship with your roommate

It helps if your roommate is a local and is familiar with Berkeley. A good relationship with your roommate can expand your community easily as you can also connect with their friend groups. Also, don’t be afraid to ask your roommate to go on a trip together! They might  invite their friends to go too and it would be a nice way to meet new people. 

2. Stay connected with your friends and family from home

When you are alone in a foreign country, staying connected with your friends and family is crucial. They speak the same language as you and they can be there when you feel homesick. They are also the people who really understand your habits and may be the best company.

3. Join some clubs that Align with your interests

When sitting in lectures, people can often ignore each other. But in clubs, especially in smaller clubs, it is easier to get to know people and make new friends. Most clubs offer time for socializing and it is a good time to get to know people outside of classrooms. 

4. seek professional help when needed

It is important to seek professional help. The Tang Center and other medical centers are available to students and are sometimes only one call away. There will be people willing to listen to hardships you face and provide advice on how to improve the situation. 

Last but not least, if being an exchange student becomes too stressful for you, you might have to reconsider and weigh the benefits and costs of staying here. Whenever your mental health cannot handle the load of the classes or the loneliness, it is always important to put your own health as the priority and to rethink what is really the right choice.

Tina Yang

UC Berkeley '23

I write the things people don't write. International student/ Feminist/ legal studies/ philosophy