This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Each year of college brings its own twists and turns and exciting memories. But getting halfway through can bring a wide variety of emotions. Here are some common thoughts that may bring! 

1) Where did the time go?? 

Wasn’t it just yesterday that you were a wide-eyed freshman moving into your college dorm and meeting your roommate? Time can really fly when you are in college and it can seem like the years are months when you are in the middle of your golden years! It seems like before you know it, you will be a college graduate. 

Newly Graduated People Wearing Black Academy Gowns Throwing Hats Up in the Air
Pixabay via Pexels

2) The new me

College is full of life-changing experiences that can cause personal growth and allow you to build your confidence. Being away from home forces you to forge your own path and take care of yourself. Whether this means doing a load of laundry for the first time, learning to cook, or joining new clubs and teams, you are likely not the same person you were two years ago. You may be thinking to yourself: “go me!” 

3) I made it this far! 

Especially in the beginning of college, it may seem like you will never make it through.  Whether you are studying for your first set of final exams or cranking out a 14- page paper, college can be extremely overwhelming and stressful. You may be thinking back to those classes that you had to study hours for that you thought would never end and thanking your lucky stars they are finally over.     

4) I’m still confused…

While it may seem like everyone has a clear picture of what their career will be like and what they aspire to do, you may still be exploring the different options and finding the best fit for you. Either way–know that it’s okay to be confused and there are plenty of others in the same boat as you! 

5) It’s going TOO fast

While college may be the time where you are having a blast and enjoying time with your friends, it also may start to dawn on you that the years are going by WAY too fast, and there’s still a laundry list of places/activities you want to explore. Better start checking them off now! 

6) Time to find a job

Say “internship” to a group of college students and see the stressful response it provokes. Entering the job field can be crazy endeavor filled with 1 success in a pile of rejection letters. Standing in line at career fairs, re-drafting your resume, and revamping your LinkedIn account may be eating way your hours as you desperately try to land that dream internship. 

woman biting pencil while sitting on chair in front of computer during daytime
Unsplash

7) We don’t talk anymore

It’s easy to think that the friends you start out with freshman year will be your BFF’s for life. But the reality can be quite different. A lot of juniors and seniors will reflect on how their friends have changed over the years–and that’s okay! College comes with changes for everyone, and sometimes that just means that people will go their separate paths. 

8) Wanting something new

Once you are halfway done with college and are a big bad upperclassman, your campus may start to feel like your “home turf.” At the same time, you may be craving a new experience–whether this means a new club on campus, or even taking that class you’ve been wanting to take for the past two years. Anything to avoid falling into monotony. 

9) I’m RELIEVED

While you may be having the time of your life in college, it can also be a huge relief that the finish line is finally starting to come in sight. College is hard and stressful for many, filled with sleepless nights, drama, and plenty of changes. You may be feeling like you just can’t wait to start a steady job and chase the life you’ve been studying for. 

Working business woman in dress at office
Photo by Dane Deaner from Unsplash

10) No Valentine?

Maybe you came into college thinking that your soul mate would be right around the corner, waiting to walk right into your life. The reality of romance in college can be very different, and even messy. Even if you haven’t found the one yet, maybe they are waiting just around the corner of your junior year! 

Rhea Sheth

UC Berkeley '21

Rhea Sheth is a sophomore at Cal majoring in Integrative Biology. She is from Santa Rosa, California and loves to sing and dance! Her favorite types of music are Bollywood, jazz and pop. While she is not singing, dancing, writing or studying, she is probably watching Netflix or eating any type of dessert. She also loves spending time with friends and cracking lame jokes.
After three years at Cal, Brianna Brann graduated UC Berkeley in 2020 with a double major in Economics and Media Studies! She is originally from Santa Clarita in Southern California, but she loves the weather, nature, and people in the Bay Area. In addition to her unmatched passion for film and television, she also enjoys visiting the beach, playing with her dog, and hiking outdoors!