These 4 Women-Centered Netflix TV Shows Will Take You Back to the ’90s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

There’s no better way to wind down from a full day of Zoom classes and meetings than to grab your favorite snack and turn on Netflix. If you love ’90s nostalgia and have no idea where to start, I’ve curated a list of 4 TV shows that encompass the classic theme songs, fashion, and humor for you to watch!

#1: Sister Sister

In this ’90s sitcom, Tia and Tamera are twin sisters who were separated at birth through adoption and end up finding each other again when they are teenagers. If you need a show that will help you to relax, unwind, and have a good laugh, Sister Sister is perfect for you!

woman wearing black shirt eating popcorn
Photo by JESHOOTS.com from Pexels
#2: Charmed

Based locally in San Francisco, these three average sisters come to the discovery that they each have special witch powers. This fantasy drama will get you attached to the characters and keep you on your toes during every single episode. With this series, you’ll be able to point out a  ton of well-known actors and actresses who began their careers on this show!

#3: Girlfriends 

Similar to Sex and the City, this sitcom focuses on a group of four best friends as they navigate through womanhood. Girlfriends tackles real-life issues like career aspirations, friendships, race, marriage, sex, therapy, class, and so many other themes. Although this show covers a lot of tough topics, it does a beautiful job of incorporating and balancing comedic moments throughout each episode!

Hand holding remote pointed at tv screen
Photo by Tolu Bamwo from Nappy
#4: Moesha

Moesha is a teenager in high school juggling her academics, jobs, boys, family, and friendships. Throughout this sitcom, we follow Moesha as she experiences growing pains, as well as the joys of being a teenager. If you want to watch something super relatable that brings you back to the ’90s, especially with its music and fashion trends, Moesha is the perfect place to start!

If you’re like me, a ’90s enthusiast and professional procrastinator, you won’t regret diving into these classic shows on Netflix!

Chantal Winston

UC Berkeley '22

Chantal is a junior at UC Berkeley majoring in History and African-American Studies. When she's not studying, you can find her binge-watching her favorite shows (like Gilmore Girls or Sister Sister), or exploring the best restaurants around the Bay Area!
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.