This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Whenever I am feeling down and looking for a way to cheer myself up, I always turn to my family’s tried and true banana bread recipe. It’s easy to follow and requires very few ingredients, which is perfect for a college student on a budget. To get started, you’re going to want to make sure you have three ripe bananas—as well as an additional banana if you want to top your banana bread with some banana slices. 

Here are the ingredients: 

• 1 Cup of Sugar
  • 8 Tablespoons of Butter
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 3 Ripe Bananas (4 Ripe Bananas if you want to cut slices to top your banana bread)
  • 1 Tablespoon Milk (of your choice)
  • 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 2 Cups All Purpose Flour 
  • 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 Tablespoon of Salt
  • (Optional) One cup of chocolate chips or walnuts

What I love about this recipe is that you just need to throw all the ingredients into a food processor or smash your bananas and butter with a fork and whisk all your ingredients together. Trust me when I say that it will taste exactly the same, no matter what method you use. Once you have your batter, pour it into your greased or lined baking pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Once your banana bread is cooled down, dig in and enjoy!

Chantal Chew

UC Berkeley '24

Hi everyone! I am a second year at UC Berkeley studying Public Health. On my free time I enjoy binge watching new shows on Netflix, FaceTiming family, and hanging out with friends.