This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Coffee is a staple for many college students, including myself. Whenever you’re in need of a quick caffeine boost, or if you just want something to warm you up, there’s always coffee! One thing about coffee is that you can drink it hot or cold. I just recently started making my own cold brew coffee and it’s a game changer!

To get the perfect cold brew concentrate, you need coffee! I personally like getting my coffee grounds at Trader Joe’s, because they’re only $5 and last me about two months. You can pick whichever type of coffee you want: light roast, medium roast, or, if you want to be bold, you can try a dark roast. 

Once you pick out your coffee, you just need to get about a cup of coffee grounds and about two cups of water. You can add the coffee and water to a bowl or a jar to store the cold brew itself. Now here’s the fun part, waiting! The coffee has to steep for at least six to eight hours in the fridge, but I just keep it steeped for a day. 

After the coffee has steeped for a good amount of time, you have to strain the coffee about two to three times in order to get rid of all the coffee grounds. You can throw out the coffee grounds or compost them! Now, you’re left with a delicious, cold brew concentrate. You can add your choice of milk or sweetener. Then, you are done! 

Melissa Ayala

UC Berkeley '26

Melissa is currently a sophomore at UC Berkeley, double majoring in History and Political Economy. In her free time, Melissa enjoys watching movies, updating her Spotify playlists, and reading a book.