This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

The bay area, specifically Berkeley, is very different from where I am from. The change I have experienced, as many others, has impacted me in a tremendous way. I went from walking along the sidewalk in a city by the beach, smelling the salty air and the bright sun hitting my face, to walking along streets filled by academically achieving students, boba places and gloomy clouds.

I was used to coming home from school to an empty room and my thoughts, however now I come to a room with friends that support me and push me to be better in academics. I walk outside my room and find myself with close friends, might I say family, from different backgrounds and ethnicities. I go on campus to a school that I know will support me as a student with teachers that are geniuses in their field of study. With the academic environment and support of others that I have obtained on campus, it’s motivating to know that although we are studying for either the same or different majors, we are working towards our own goal and striving to succeed endlessly in our academia.

As I walk around campus, I hear conversations regarding assignments and see groups of friends conversing with smiles on their faces even though in the back of their mind they have one exam and nine assignments to complete. I see people walking to campus, rushing to class on their scooter, or riding the bus while studying their notes on their way to the library. I wasn’t used to seeing many people studying as I was used to seeing people play sports, and hanging out downtown near the beach and small outlets surrounding the shoreline.

I have a routine to workout at our recreational gym while instilling healthy habits to better myself all around to feel a sense of being more accomplished. Normally, I wouldn’t do this at home and according to peers around me, they wouldn’t either. Not only is the change in living environment different but the workload is as well. The assignments are longer, the reading has become lengthier and the lectures are tedious in terms of taking notes. The grade deflation causes me stress as the fear of dropping my GPA immensely creeps up on me slowly and slowly as the semester goes by. The work and pressures have increased much in comparison to my home town where everything was easier overall.

However, the severity of the work pushes me to work harder and show that I belong here with everyone else, that the imposter syndrome is just that, a syndrome in my mind that makes me believe that I don’t belong here when in reality I have rightfully earned my spot. Although the change has been drastic, it has been a good one. I am surrounded by a different environment that I appreciate because of the diversity in academics, the perseverance in succeeding academically and the supportive community I can call family to aid me in my journey.

Ana Gonzalez

UC Berkeley '26

An undergraduate at Berkeley studying English and intended ppl minor! I love to dance, hang with friends, enjoy photography and other fun activities:)