This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

On Thursday, September 22, 2022, in the Northern Hemisphere, the Autumnal Equinox will be upon us. This holiday, often known among modern pagans and witches as “Mabon,” is a day of balance and change. Even if you are not familiar with the “Wheel of the Year” holidays, the Autumnal Equinox marks the official start of the comfiest season, Autumn, better known as “Fall.” 

The Autumnal Equinox is a time of harvest. It is a celebration of bringing in, balancing all things, and reaping what is sown. It is a time of reflection that correlates to the waning of the moon. In this season, there is preparation and re-evaluation. Here are some ways to celebrate Mabon, or the Autumnal equinox, while staying ethical and respectful even if you are new to the game!

The Autumnal Equinox, scientifically, is the day when the sun is directly above the equator on its journey southward, making the length of the day and night equal, as the sun is visible for the same amount of time as it is not visible. This also happens in Spring, except the sun goes northward, known as the Spring Equinox. After the Summer Solstice, the days begin to get shorter as the sun disappears until the Winter Solstice when they grow longer again.

A harvest feast with loved ones

Celebrating the harvest and Earth’s gifts is no more prominent than when directly consuming and honoring the fruit of the land, while sharing and giving thanks with members of your close loved ones.

A leaf wreath

Using only materials found in your surrounding environment (such as sticks and leaves from your backyard, but always asking for permission when taking from the land) is a great way to respect the Earth, and honor its gifts. Simultaneously, you are bringing the outside world into your space as a reminder and blessing by making use of something potentially going to waste and creating something new that represents connectivity, wholeness and health. 

Reflecting on the year and preparing for the winter

This could take the form of meditation, journaling, enjoying some wine with friends or any activity of your preference. Take some time for yourself to recharge and express gratitude for the past year while getting ready for the winter months and transition into a season that features less daylight. 

Mariah Trinity

UC Berkeley '24

hey! just a berkeley girlie hopin to write and photograph some cool stuff for ya!