Ten Questions to Ask a Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Fostering meaningful relationships requires getting to know one another better and showing genuine interest. One way to express this interest is through questions. You may have heard of The New York Times‘ 36 Questions That Lead to Love, but what about platonic love? What questions are we supposed to ask a friend to get to know them better? 

I’ve made a list of ten questions to ask a friend, some of which are inspired by Teen Vogue‘s List of 71 Questions to Ask Your Best Friends. The questions get deeper and more personal as you go down the list. When I asked a few friends these questions, I was able to learn more about even my closest circle. It’s quite remarkable how despite thinking you know someone well, there is so much you might not know, like their favorite place or their regrets. When you have a chance, be sure to ask your friends these questions:

Hero image appropriate for article on Unhealthy Relatioships - image of a question mark
Photo by Emily Morter on Unsplash

#1: What major(s) are you thinking of/pursuing and why? 

#2: If you were to get a tattoo, what would it be? Why? Where would you get it? 

#3: If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only carry three books with you, which would these be and why?

#4: If you could only listen to one song/album for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

#5: What is your favourite place in the world and why? (It could be a cozy corner in your house, your grandmother’s house, a hiking trail, or a tourist hotspot.)

#6: What has been your proudest moment?

#7: What’s the biggest lesson COVID has taught you?

#8: Who do you look up to the most? Why? What about them inspires you?

#9: What is the biggest challenge you have ever faced, and how did you overcome it? 

#10: What has been your biggest regret?

And if you’re open to being even more vulnerable and brave, #11: What do you fear the most?

Samiha Singh

UC Berkeley '24

Samiha is a sophomore at UC Berkeley and is from New Delhi, India. She is currently pursuing a double major in Economics and Data Science along with a minor in Global Poverty & Practice. She really enjoys travel, meet new people, and talk about mental health! In terms of writing, she prefers to write about shared experiences, especially the ones that usually not talked about.
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.