Style > Fashion

“SLOW” FASHION: SUSTAINABLE SHOPPING IN 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Going into 2022, one of my New Year’s resolutions was to make more sustainable shopping choices. For me, this really comes down to purchasing products from companies that have the same values and care about ethical working conditions, the environment, and supporting local communities. 

Sustainability can seem daunting at first. We all fall into certain shopping habits based on what’s easy, what’s available, and what’s cheap so changing it up can feel overwhelming. Luckily, there are tools out there for anyone interested in shopping more sustainably.

Good On You rates fashion brands based on their impact on three things– people, planet, and animals. After considering these three factors, Good On You gives the brand a score of “Great,” “Good,” “It’s A Start,” “Not Good Enough,” or “We Avoid.” Visit their website (or download the Good On You app) to access a directory of rated brands.

To get you started, here are a couple of sustainable fashion brands to check out. All of these brands have a rating of “Great” on Good on You!

#1: Knickey

If you’re looking for simple, comfortable underwear, check out Knickey! Knickey uses organic cotton and other eco-friendly materials to produce bralettes and underwear that are the perfect must-haves to add to your closet. Their underwear goes for around $17 a pair, and although their bralettes are a bit pricier, these are items you can buy once and use for years.

Shop here instead of: Victoria’s Secret 

#2: Girlfriend Collective

Who doesn’t love a good matching set? One of my other New Year’s resolutions was to be more active, so Girlfriend Collective’s sustainable activewear immediately caught my eye. The brand seeks to minimize waste by using recycled water bottles to make its fabric. In addition to activewear, Girlfriend Collective also sells outerwear, sleepwear, shoes, and even hair accessories. While activewear can be expensive, most of their items are around the same price as (or even cheaper than) similar products at Lululemon. 

Shop here instead of: Lululemon, Fabletics  

#3: CHNGE

CHNGE stood out to me because its clothes truly seek to make a statement. While most of the sustainable brands I’ve seen specialize in basics, CHNGE offers trendy t-shirts, crop tops, hoodies, and sweatpants featuring colorful designs and graphics. My personal favorite item on their online store is this hoodie, which is also available with matching sweats and shorts. According to their website, the brand focuses on “carbon neutrality, responsible fabrics, fair wage practices, and minimizing waste.”

Shop here instead of: Urban Outfitters     

#4: Quazi Design

Quazi Design is a jewelry brand that transforms waste magazines and newspapers into beautiful accessories. Their handmade earrings are both playful and elegant, the perfect pieces to add a splash of color to a casual outfit or make a bold statement at a formal event. In addition to protecting the environment, the brand also seeks to empower its workers. Although they are based in South Africa, the brand offers worldwide shipping, so if you’re looking to add some new pieces to your jewelry box, check out Quazi Design!

Shop here instead of: Mejuri, Tiffany & Co. 

I’ll be honest here- I love shopping (probably a little too much, considering the state of my bank account). Striving for sustainability doesn’t have to mean giving up the occasional shopping spree or solely wearing your sister’s hand-me-downs; it just means being more conscious of where your clothes come from. Although sustainable fashion brands can be a bit more expensive, the clothes and accessories you buy will last much longer than fast fashion, and in the end, our planet, and the people and animals living on it, are worth the investment. 

Sophia Stockton

UC Berkeley '24

Sophia is a junior at UC Berkeley, where she is currently studying sociology and psychology. Originally from San Diego, Sophia spends most of her free time at the beach, listening to music, cooking, or taking photos.