Style > Fashion

SIX SUMMER TRENDS YOU NEED IN YOUR BERKELEY WARDROBE

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

It’s that time of year– us Cal students have been hit by a sudden heat wave, replacing the months of rain and bundling up. So as we all begin to wrap up classes and enjoy catching rays on the Glade, it’s time to unravel the layers and swap sweaters for tanks. A new season calls for a new wardrobe; if you’re stumped on looking your best in the heat, here are some fun summer trends worth adding to your closet!

1. Statement Belts

This summer, the bigger the belt, the better! This year, Coachella outfits revolved around large, chunky belts and waist chains– foreshadowing arguably one of the biggest trends for the upcoming months. The great part about this accessory is that it’s one of the more affordable, versatile additions to your closet. You can invest in a belt from nicer streetwear brands like Diesel or thrift a unique belt from your local GoodWill for under $10. Regardless of where you get one, style it with flowy midi skirts, baggy jean shorts, or anything you like. Get creative with this re-emerging ‘70s-inspired trend!

2. Jorts

Yes, you read that right. This Summer, expect your Instagram feed to be filled with ‘it-girls’ wearing long, baggy denim shorts– a.k.a. jorts. I love this trend; it gives off an effortlessly cool aesthetic and is perfect for the hotter months. Just like the belt trend, jorts also have the potential to be an affordable add-on to your outfit. If you want to splurge on a new pair, I recommend Jaded London’s Jumbo Shorts. Still, you can also find oversized jean shorts at any secondhand store for a cheaper, more sustainable option. Pair these bottoms with a simple tank or graphic baby tee and the classic black Adidas Sambas or any sneaker you choose. Top it off with some ‘90s-inspired sunglasses, and you’re good to go!

3. Sheer Dresses

This trend is perfect for days you hope to look cute while beating the heat. Sheer lace maxi dresses can double as a coverup during beach days and a fun going-out ‘fit at night. Pairing a sheer white lace dress with a black bathing suit or undergarments underneath offers a fun, slightly revealing look if you’re looking to spice things up. Or, pair a sheer dress with a matching set underneath for a cute, more covered-up look. A third option is to add on a baggy tee for a more casual, street-style outfit. Finally, add a fun belt, as mentioned above, and some cowboy boots or chunky platforms for a nice juxtaposition. This trend is great because, like the other ones mentioned thus far, you can buy a dress new or used. If you can’t find a sheer lace maxi dress at your nearest thrift store, you’ll most likely find a sheer slip dress that will give off a similar vibe.

4. Chunky Charm Necklaces

This summer, switch up your jewelry! Tie necklaces with big, glass charms are emerging into the trend-setters’ closets. This accessory won’t break the bank, even if you buy one new. Check out affordable, trendy necklaces and chokers from Urban Outfitters, or shop locally and dig for a vintage piece. If you’re looking for a fun summer activity with friends, go find your nearest bead shop; you can pick your own glass charms and necklace strings, usually for a reasonable price. You can pair these necklaces with any look, adding a little ‘90s alt-inspired element.

5. Crochet

Crochet is making a continuous appearance in the Summer wardrobe. At this point, it’s become a staple. Crochet is another great option, like the sheer lace dress trend, for hot weather.  If you’re going on vacation in Europe –or even just staying home– consider investing in a crochet sweater or set to double as an outfit and beach attire. You can go for a bold color, stick to neutrals, or both! Pair a crochet top with the jorts mentioned earlier, or wear a top and skirt set with fun undergarments.

6. Jean & Khaki Maxi Skirts

Another effortless closet staple, the maxi skirt is taking a new approach this season. Swap out your Khaki and cargo pants for skirts this summer! Khaki skirts can be a great way to diversify your internship attire or look more sophisticated while doing fun activities. The denim skirt is resurfacing from the ‘70s but can be styled in a less-bohemian way if you’d like. I personally own a denim maxi skirt, and my go-to styling for it is a cropped baby tee and Dr. Marten Adrian Smooth Leather Tassel Loafers for a more preppy look. You can purchase Khaki, cargo, and denim maxi skirts new, or if you’re feeling crafty, you can purchase a pair of oversized jeans from the thrift store and upcycle them into a skirt!

These six Summer trends are a perfect way to incorporate functional and stylish pieces. Each piece can be styled interchangeably and is easy to find secondhand for affordable prices. So, have fun styling ‘fits for Summer!

Katelyn Kolberg

UC Berkeley '25

Hi!! I’m Katelyn and I’m currently a freshman at UC Berkeley. I love writing about the role that fashion plays in our society; I plan to enter the editorial realm of the fashion industry! Besides writing, I love thrifting, grabbing coffee, and conversing with other young writers!