Should We Praise Companies for Being Sustainable, or Is It Their Corporate Responsibility to Do So?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Do you thrift your clothes or own a reusable water bottle? According to IBM, nearly 60% of consumers are willing to change their shopping habits in order to reduce their environmental impact. Consumers are becoming more sustainably focused, and companies are following along. But should we praise companies for taking sustainable action, or is it their corporate responsibility to do so?

Corporate social responsibility (CSR) is a strategy in which companies aim to be socially accountable. This means donating to charitable organizations, doing volunteer work, sponsoring social justice events, and even taking sustainable action to fight climate change. While these efforts can immensely benefit society, they are often used as a management strategy to enhance brand image. 

neon instagram sign with heart
Photo by Prateek Katyal from Unsplash

Don’t get me wrong, many companies are genuine in their efforts to help society, but how many environmental issues could have been prevented if companies had been more sustainable from the start? 

Let’s take a look at an example.

L’Occitane Group, a French beauty and wellness company, has been engaging in sustainable practices for the last 40 years. They’re now taking the next step to decrease their plastic waste. They recently signed a multi-year agreement with Loop Industries, a supplier of recycled plastic materials, in order to achieve 100% sustainable packaging across their range of brands by 2025. 

woman with towel on her head using lotion on shoulders
Photo by Andrea Picquadio from Canva

From an ethical perspective, L’Occitane is focusing on actions that will benefit as many people as possible. They’re willing to pay more to integrate more sustainable packaging so that both their brand image and the rest of the world can benefit in the long-run. 

Considering recent conversations surrounding climate change, it’s ethical for L’Occitane to take actions that benefit not only the planet, but also human life. The consumer goods industry is one of the top contributors to plastic waste globally. By continuing company efforts to make change, L’Occitane will set a positive example for other brands and spark new conversations among consumers about sustainability.

two women talking
Mimi Thian

However, the world has been aware of its plastic consumption since plastic began being produced in the 1900s, so the decision to be sustainable is not a new one to consider. 

Companies should have more corporate responsibility than simply making profit. In fact, they should ensure they are using their platform to set a positive example for society. 

Let’s stop praising companies for being socially responsible, and instead start expecting them to be.

Hannah Shirley

UC Berkeley '21

Hi! My name is Hannah and I am a senior at the University of California, Berkeley, studying Business Administration with an emphasis in marketing. My life revolves around the beauty, skincare, entertainment, and fashion spaces, and in my free time I love to take naps, watch crime shows, and online shop!
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.