This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Fictional character and shopaholic Rebecca Bloomwood once said, “You know that thing when you see someone cute, and he smiles, and your heart kinda goes like warm butter sliding down hot toast? Well, that’s what it’s like when I see a store. Only it’s better.” Her words best capture that initial excitement upon seeing a store, but many will agree that walking out of the store with a shopping bag is an even greater feeling. Whether scoring a killer deal or finding the perfect item, walking out of a store with a shopping bag can leave you with that happy feeling, as if you were walking on clouds. 

After making a purchase, do you experience feelings of immense joy and relaxation? An elevated mood? Does it feel therapeutic? These feelings can also be called experiencing a “shopper’s high.” With summer vacations and spring savings sales approaching, understanding shopper’s high can help you be mindful of its powerful effects while shopping. 

Studies show that about 18 million Americans are affected by a shopping addiction. Stores create inviting environments with colorful displays, perfume-scented air, and attractive outfits. It is scientifically proven that our brains release feel-good chemicals such as dopamine and endorphins when participating in enjoyable and thrilling activities. The “high” one may experience during or after a successful shopping trip can have many effects to be mindful of—especially the urge to do it all over again. 

An ecstatic feeling can also come with the anticipation of shopping. What will you find when you arrive at the store? The perfect pair of shoes that are both incredibly stylish and comfortable? A new scarf? The possibilities are endless! Or the anticipation of waiting for an online order to be delivered, only for the feeling when it finally arrives, making you feel like a kid on Christmas morning, opening a new present picked just for you.

These feelings of temporary pleasure can lead to compulsively buying items you don’t need—buying something just to feel this excitement can even lead to addiction. But, with one quick debit card swipe, it can all be over! What once led to big smiles and an addition to your closet now leaves you with big bills and payments. 

As someone who understands shopper’s high, let me tell you that it’s essential to ask yourself a few questions before running to checkout. Some questions include the obvious but very important, “Do I need this?” “Is it worth buying?” “If I went to three other stores, would I remember this item and want it enough to return?” Lastly, “What is your return policy?” Sometimes it’s nice to have the assurance that you can return an item up to 14–30 days after your shopper’s high wears off. With a clear mind, you can decide if the unworn/unused purchase was a mistake. It can be helpful to create a budget beforehand and keep it in mind before making an impulsive purchase. It’s also important to understand that it’s entirely okay to splurge occasionally (if your budget allows) as long as the shopper’s high doesn’t cloud your judgment. 

Siannah Buendia

UC Berkeley '24

Siannah is a senior at the University of California, Berkeley, majoring in English. She is currently a copy editor and writer for the Berkeley chapter. You can catch her shopping with a Starbucks Pink Drink in hand, listening to Harry Styles, or exploring new places with her friends in her free time. Siannah is deeply passionate about writing, literature, and fashion. She is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!