Money?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM Design
Career

Scholarships for Low-income Students: What I Would Do with $1 Million

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

If I had the opportunity to invest $1 million in anything that could create a positive impact, I would put it toward scholarships that would pay college application fees for low-income high school seniors in California. With these scholarships, low-income students could apply to more schools and increase their educational options.

Newly Graduated People Wearing Black Academy Gowns Throwing Hats Up in the Air
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

As a low-income and first-generation college student, I personally understand the struggle it takes to gather enough funds to pay for college applications, aside from the four fee waivers we receive. College application fees can range from around $50 to $120, and when applying to multiple schools, they can add up to a couple hundred dollars. For low-income families that are already living paycheck to paycheck, these fees really limit what they can purchase for several months.   

My scholarship would grant 2,000 students in California a $500 stipend to pay for their college application fees. This aid would cover four to ten application fees for recipients.

Kellyn Simpkin-Girl Holding Money
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus

After the awards were distributed the first year, I would make sure to continue to fundraise and gain sponsors to carry on this scholarship for years to come. My goal is to help low-income students who have the potential to succeed, but do not have the funds to do so.

Tania Salceda

UC Berkeley '24

(She/Her/Ella)
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.