halloween hookup horror stories?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
halloween hookup horror stories?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MIRAMAX

SCARY MOVIES YOU SHOULD WATCH WITH FRIENDS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Movie nights are classics. It is a time to eat some sweets and bond with friends. When it comes to the spooky season, though, movie nights become scary since Halloween is all about what comes out in the night. Some scary movies are perfect for a solo movie night, others are much better for friends to watch together on Halloween night. Even if you are not dressing up, a scary movie night can add to your Halloween weekend by letting you get cozy while still having a fright.

Here are three steps you should take to plan a night in.

1. set the scene 

There are various levels of frightening movies but the scariest ones are the best excuse to have friends over. Before your friends get there, make sure your place is Halloween ready. This can mean decorating the apartment with fake spider webs, having Halloween-themed disposable utensils or making a place for one of Halloween’s main course — candy! — by pulling together a couple bowls of treats (no tricks!) that will surely be gone by the end of the night.

No matter which way you go or how spooky you make your place, having some Halloween cheer can get everyone into the mood for a movie.

2. Choose a movie that is fun for everyone

Everyone has a different threshold for how much horror they could take. Once your friends arrive and you all settle in, it is good to discuss options for movies. Some of my favorite little moments during movie nights are debating which movie we all are interested in. It could be helpful to have a veto option so that some movies are immediately off the table while also just playing it by ear.When it comes to choosing a movie, there should be some spontaneity, because a movie night is not bound by any rules but a fun time together. And it is important to have fun while also making sure everyone is comfortable.

If the group ends up watching a very scary movie that is outside someone’s comfort zone, maybe grab some blankets and sit closer together on the couch. Or if the group goes for a not-very-scary movie, up the candy intake and provide commentary during the film. This night may be about Halloween but at its core it’s about who you are with.

3. Still need a movie rec? Check out my list

Sometimes we simply cannot find a movie that feels right. When that happens, recommendations are key. If the mood of your aiming for movie night to be more artsy and complex, a good movie to watch would be Midsommar, the movie that put Florence Pugh on the map. For a more gory version, try Hereditary (also directed by Ari Aster).

Looking for something less about gore and more centered on psychological themes? Try a Jordan Peele movie. Every movie of Peele’s has concepts that are unique and create a sense of true immersion into the world he designed. Finally, if you want to watch an underrated gem that has an element of a classic childhood game, try Ready or Not. This film takes on a more classical horror movie structure where everything seems normal until it doesn’t. Each of these movies moves in different directions but can also be used in a horror movie marathon if you’re looking to stay up for a long time. 

Once you choose a movie and the credits roll, the fun does not have to stop there. Getting a lot of friends together can take a lot of work because we are all busy college students. So, even though the movie is over, you and your friends can still stay up late into the night talking about nothing. If the group is still feeling spooky even when the clock strikes midnight, poke the bear and watch an even scarier movie. At the end of the night, whether your friends have gone home or decided to stay over, Halloween night will be sealed with a smile on your face, a bunch of candy in your belly and the memories of popcorn flying during a jump scare. 

Haley Morrill

UC Berkeley '25

Haley is a 3rd year at UC Berkeley, who is an art major. She loves to write about the arts, culture, and more! When Haley is not studying, you can find her going to art museums, trying every version of a mocha, or making art. She is very excited to continue with the Her Campus team and is looking forward to the year ahead.