Style

SCARILY SIMPLE: HALLOWEEN COSTUME HACKS

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

With Halloween on the horizon, many are scrambling for last minute costumes to make the most of their spooky season. Over the years, I’ve learned a couple of tips and tricks on making the best Halloween costumes — quick, easy, and, more importantly, good.

1. YOUR CLOSET IS YOUR BEST FRIEND

If you aren’t free to make a trip to Spirit Halloween or your Amazon package won’t be delivered in time, all hope isn’t lost! You can use your closet! Some of my favorite Halloween costumes I’ve worn have been pulled from clothes I already had in my closet. Don’t be afraid to shop your closet and see what costumes you can make from what you already have. You might be surprised at what you can find!

2. thrift away!

Thrift shops are full of hidden treasures and gems, perfect for creating Halloween costumes. A vintage slip dress can be the key piece of a costume like Carrie and more. The best part is that all the clothing, accessories, and props you can find in places like these will come in at an affordable price.

3. makeup is magic

Makeup can elevate any Halloween look. An all black outfit easily transforms into a cat costume with a little bit of eyeliner to draw on some whiskers and a nose, and maybe even a cat-eye if you’re feeling clever. Plus, there’s countless tutorials online that can help you transform yourself, whether it’s into a cat or a clown. Practice makes perfect, and there’s always makeup wipes for any mistakes.

4. craft store essentials

Places likes Michael’s can be a gold mine if you’re someone that likes to DIY their costumes, as their supplies are abundant, making the possibilities endless. Items like fabric, glue, and craft foam can help you create custom accessories and details for your costume, and they let you have a little fun being creative in the process.

5. don’t doubt the versatility of a bedsheet

If you’re truly on a time crunch, and on a budget, a simple bed sheet will be your friend. There’s tons of different costumes you can make with a bedsheet, whether you’re aiming for the classic ghost or an elegant toga-wearing Greek goddess. All you really need is a pair of scissors, some safety pins, and a wild imagination. 

Whatever you end up being, or tips and tricks you use, Halloween is a holiday all about creativity and fun! Whether you’re aiming for a stylish, spooky, or funny look, as long as you enjoy yourself and feel good in what you’re wearing, it doesn’t matter what your costume is! Happy Halloween!

Sophia Brunet

UC Berkeley '27

Sophia is a freshman at UC Berkeley, intending to major in English, with minor in Public Policy. She enjoys writing about pop culture, personal blogs, and listicles. Sophia has experience in creative writing and journalism. After graduation, she hopes to enter the publishing and editing industry, determined to sharing the joys of creation and writing with others. In her free time, when she's not writing, Sophia enjoys going to concerts, thrifting for new clothes, and spending time with her friends and family.