RECALLING HOW WE MET: THE 1975 SONG ‘ABOUT YOU’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

As the air turns colder and skies grow darker, there’s a sort of lonely feeling that accompanies the change of seasons. It feels like no matter how many times I’ve experienced it, I can’t get used to it. Even so, after a long day out, nothing feels better than crawling into your oh-so familiar bed and wrapping yourself up into a tight burrito of warmth.

That’s exactly how I would describe my favorite song as of lately: About You by The 1975.

The song is like this melancholic yet happy mix of angst that’s in reminiscence of being an edgy teen in 2014. Throughout the song the lead singer repeats the line “do you think that I’ve forgotten about you,” multiple times as if they’re calling out to someone. And there in the background is this faint response by a woman that is almost hidden. And we finally get this feeling of resolution when in the bridge we get to hear her sing from the point of view of whoever the speaker is calling out to. Her feature ends with the lines “I never know what to think about” from which the speaker replies with “I think about you.” In my personal opinion, the bridge and this call and response is what makes the song unforgettable.

After some research, a.k.a. looking on Genius, I found that the singer was Carly Holt, the wife of the band’s lead guitarist. Her haunting yet almost familiar voice was perfect for the song. I only hope we get to hear more from her in the future!

Be it a mutual connection or just a reminiscence of a past love, the song invokes this feeling of yearning for another person that’s comforting. Someone who, no matter how hard you try to forget, are just these in those little familiar moments throughout your day that remind you of them. 

I’m not really a music or love expert so don’t take my silly review too seriously. I just wanted to share a song that’s been stuck in my head these past few days! 

TLDR: Just listen to the song, have a warm drink and enjoy the colder weather. 

Karen Lam

UC Berkeley '25

Hello! I'm a second-year studying data science, but in my free time I enjoy crocheting and binge-watching television shows. If you're reading this I hope you're having a great day!