This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

I spend many of my hours binge watching television shows and movies on all types of streaming services. Over time, I’ve learned the biggest perks as well as the greatest downfalls that every service has to offer. So, I’ve decided to rate some of the most popular streaming services and give you my honest take on what streaming service is the best in the business.

#5 – Hulu

Pros: Hulu has a lot of reality TV shows, such as “Keeping up with the Kardashians” and “The Bachelor,” that are both nostalgic and entertaining. As a die hard fan of reality TV, I think Hulu is a good option for those “oldies but goodies” titles.

Cons: Hulu is infamous for its ads and removing them is super expensive. Additionally, many of the shows and movies they offer are older titles, which may be good when you’re reminiscing about your childhood, but it can also become boring.

#4 – Paramount+

Pros: Paramount+ is surprisingly affordable with plans starting at $5 a month and a student discount of 25% off. They also offer a variety of shows and movies such as iCarly and some newer movies.

Cons: The baseline subscription for Paramount+ also has ads and less access to sports and news. Personally, I have never used Paramount+, but it seems to offer less content for teens and young adults compared to other streaming services.

#3 – HBO Max

Pros: HBO Max has a lot of newer titles, especially movies that are perfect for movie nights. It also has a lot of movies that other streaming services don’t, which comes in handy when you want to watch something particular.

Cons: This streaming service is a bit pricey, especially for a college student on a budget, and with some more affordable streaming services out there, an alternative might be the way to go.

#2 – Disney+

Pros: Disney+ is one of my go-to’s because it offers the best of both worlds with its old-school classics and new titles. Not to mention, my Disney+ subscription has saved me tons on movie theater tickets, since many movies are available just a couple of months after they hit theaters. 

Cons: If your favorite genres include gruesome and gory shows and movies, Disney+ might not be the right streaming service for you. Despite Disney’s Marvel collection, it can be hard to find something like a true crime or thriller on the service.

#1 – Netflix

Pros: Netflix is my all-time favorite streaming service—with its variety of titles and super trendy, exclusive Netflix originals, you’ll never run out of things to watch.

Cons: Netflix subscriptions have been consistently increasing over the years, which can pose a problem when it comes to affordability.

Chantal Chew

UC Berkeley '24

Hi everyone! I am a second year at UC Berkeley studying Public Health. On my free time I enjoy binge watching new shows on Netflix, FaceTiming family, and hanging out with friends.