This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

College is hard.

Or at least this is the way I have been describing it to all of my friends and family who’ve been curious enough to ask.  What do you mean? Well what I mean is that I had had my perfectly peaceful little bubble of ignorance back home where school was easy, and I had had my support system set in stone since long before the beginning of high school. And now? Well everything has gone up into a blur of confusion with all of these new experiences whirling around my head until I decide which one to reach out and take ahold of.  

It’s difficult to feel as though I am taking advantage of all of the possibilities around me as this confusing, transitional period is moving so quickly that my brain can barely keep up.  Days pass in seconds when they are spent busily finishing homework, and trying to remind yourself to take care of your body, whether that includes eating healthy, or working out.  There are so many responsibilities thrust onto college students, that it can often feel as though we are drowning in the adult world, even though we are proving ourselves by working so hard every day.

My own struggle with this began a few weeks ago when I entered this semester with the other freshmen who have still not found who they are.  This is brand new; this place, the vibe, the people.  It is interesting to have to transition into such a new place while I am still discovering who I am.  The best way to keep myself from focusing on how scary this uncertain time of my life is, is by maintaining my positivity, and focusing on supporting the positivity of those who are close to me.  

I’ve started each day by setting a small goal for myself, and by making sure that I complete it by the end of the day.  Whether that means meeting a new friend, or trying something something out of my comfort zone these goals have kept my aspirations present even outside of the classroom.  This type of goal-oriented lifestyle in terms of personal growth has reminded me that I will find the person that I am supposed to be eventually, even if I am not completely at that place yet.  

Another personal goal of mine is to eventually become certified as a yoga instructor.  This has lead me towards finding a great community at a local yoga studio, where I attend classes 3-4 times a week.  This women are strong, happy, and healthy; what a lovely atmosphere to place myself in.  This kind of environment is intrinsically positive and supportive, and acts as something that I have been able to look forward to a few days a week.  

I went through my old music from high school and made a playlist of music that supports my positive vibes, and reminds me of how much I have grown in such a short amount of time.  https://open.spotify.com/user/k.clure.k/playlist/6nYZv2MGN7Kx0QrHZwLBl8

These songs have helped create the person that I am today, and they remind me that I still have a ways to go.

In addition to all of my personal goals, and the positive activities I have added to my life, I have also decided that the only way to truly live a positive life is to express gratitude for those who you have felt have made a difference in your life.  At some point over the past few weeks I reached a place where I messaged all of my closest friends and family and expressed which part of our relationship that I have been the most grateful for.  In order to get positive vibes, you have to give positive vibes.

The fight to remain positive will not always be easy; life is not always going to give you roses, sometimes it will give you a pair of scissors and tell you to cut everything into squares and rearrange them into a new pattern.  Just remember to be open to new possibilities, reflect on the past, and grow.

UC Berkeley class of 2021. My heart is in the mountains, and with any corgi I see. I'm interested in writing, yoga, running, hiking, boxing, playing piano, music, adventures, and studying psychology and anthropology.
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.