The Patron of Lovers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Valentine’s Day is the day we all either weep or wait,

With two different reasons both on the same date

We would weep if we were single,

And we would wait if we weren’t because on the door awaits a romantic card or a crinkle

A crinkle of a rose petal or a box of chocolate éclairs

Or perhaps the giver himself/herself – with an enchanting debonair – or better yet, a diamond ring from Tiffany’s, a necklace from Jared Diamonds, or a bracelet from Kay’s (since it’s so typical for every kiss to begin with Kay’s)

We would wait for this day the whole year, wanting it to last forever

While some would wish for it to end sooner than ever

My personal kudos goes to those who send distant loved ones a handwritten letter of affectionate care

Rather than the convenient emoticons of glimmering heart “emojis”; originality is indeed rare

However, adoration belongs most to the moment when loving, precious hands entwine with yours

And whisper through touch the beautiful words, that although clichéd and overused, make your heartbeats stammer a little more

‘I love you’

Valentine’s Day is all these things and much, much more

But, of course, the milieu’s more delightful if you’re not single anymore!

However,

Fret not if you’re still a singleton.

Appreciate yourself – you are your own best Valentine.

The best Valentine you could ever have is right there within yourself.

You’re the best “better half.” You’re the apple of your own eyes.

Look at your hands – marvel at how beautiful they are.

Look at your lashes – appreciate how long and curly they are, ever so delicate.

Purse your lips with pride and laughter. Giggle a little, smile a lot, and grin widely.

Stretch your rosy, creamy cheeks as far as you can.

Whip your hair like you would if you were in a shampoo commercial; after all, you’re starring in your own life, perpetuating your unique destiny.

Caress your skin; notice how flawless and pearlescent it is, like fine porcelain.

Flaunt your figure; watch it glimmer against the mirror.

Paint your nails, or leave ‘em nude; either way, they’re bound to shine the very breaths out of everyone’s souls with sheer awe and beauty.

Touch the tiniest features you love about yourself – your fringes, your bangs, your highlights, your extensions, or if you wish, simply your natural hair.

Listen to your voice; perceive the nuances and remember the pitch and rhythms you speak out when you enunciate any speech.

Memorize the sound of your vocal cords rubbing against each other, those insidious masterful wires in motion.

You define Valentine’s Day. You define any day.

Love yourself unconditionally, collegiettes – even if no one else would.

In other words, carpe diem, ladies.

Sending you all positive vibes of cheer and good galore,

Aliza at HerCampus UC Berkeley

Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.