Anna Schultz-Hands On Laptop
Anna Schultz-Hands On Laptop
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

My Writing Process // Why It’s So Hard to Write For School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

I love writing! Unfortunately, it is not mutual love, especially when I write for college or school. When teachers give me the topic to discuss in my paper, they chain me because I cannot write about something that is not interesting to me. At this point, my muse, who is supposed to help me, packs her stuff and goes on a trip somewhere else, taking all my thoughts and ideas. I am not mad at her, but I would like to receive at least one souvenir from her multiple trips. Without her, my writing process is chaos; it does not have a specific order or some logical system. That’s why it is so hard to describe how this process occurs, but I’ll try.

Firstly, I accept the fatality of my situation and start to look for a place where people will not bother me; it can be my living room, a classroom, the library or even the seemingly clean floor of the hallway. This place should be calm and without any acquaintances, and only then will I be able to focus on my paper. After finding the desired spot, and spending some time to make it comfortable, I open my laptop. I use it because that way I don’t waste paper and can easily delete everything after realizing that the essay which seemed to be as great as a Stephen King story can, in reality, only compete with a kindergartener’s written assignments. 

I spend most of my time thinking about the topic and what I want to say. It is the hardest part for me because, without an idea, I am unable to compose a single sentence. So I just sit and think…or pretend to think. It is necessary for me to create the whole picture before crafting my paper, so making a working thesis is an important part of my writing process. If I form my thesis, I can finally begin my draft. Otherwise, I free-write until I get an idea of how my paper will develop. If the paper has to be long, I use an outline to rearrange my thoughts. It helps me to visualize what I have in mind and generally understand what examples and evidence I should use. 

Eventually, I start my essay. This is my favorite part because I do not have to think while I do this; I just put my thoughts on paper. This can take numerous hours until I run out of both enthusiasm and vocabulary. Subsequently, I take a break because it is difficult to evaluate the essay right after finishing it (at least, this is my excuse for taking a break from productivity and returning to procrastination). I clear my head to see the mistakes I most likely made. Eventually, I look at my paper again and try to calm myself, thinking “it could be worse.” After rechecking the essay numerous times, I turn it in, hoping that my teacher has a sense of humor that will persuade her my essay is not actually that bad.

A passionate and sarcastic writer-poet.
After three years at Cal, Brianna Brann graduated UC Berkeley in 2020 with a double major in Economics and Media Studies! She is originally from Santa Clarita in Southern California, but she loves the weather, nature, and people in the Bay Area. In addition to her unmatched passion for film and television, she also enjoys visiting the beach, playing with her dog, and hiking outdoors!