This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

To tell you the truth, I never had a valentine, at least not one in the traditional sense with a boyfriend or a girlfriend taking me on a date and giving me chocolates. Instead, my valentines have been my family and dear friends. The media saturates us with the idea that a true valentine is only someone romantic rather than someone you love. While we reminisce on Valentine’s Day this year, let’s not forget to continue to show love and appreciation for all of our valentines in different parts of our lives.

Parents, Mentors, and Parental Figures

With all that parents do for their kids, it´s important to remind parents how much we appreciate them. Presents for our parents do not have to be extravagant, but can be more subtle like a card or sending their favorite sweets through the mail. The bond between a parent or parental figure and a child is one of the strongest bonds. On a day such as Valentine’s Day or any other day of the year, any gift that you give to your parent or parental figure should be filled with love because love is more important than the size of the gift itself. 

Siblings

Though our siblings may drive us up a wall sometimes, underneath all the teasing and the annoyance is still love. I suggest spending quality time with your siblings such as having a nice meal together, going to the arcade or simply taking a long walk through your neighborhood. Like parents, sibling bonds are unique in their own right and some of the best presents are just spending time together in the midst of your busy schedules. Sometimes, finding a good present for a sibling is more about showing that you care and showing that you want to share your life with them, especially when siblings can venture into being a built-in best friend. 

Friends

In my experience, friends can act like your second family because they are the people that you choose to spend time with. With finding gifts for friends, think back on what you know about them and what they like best. For example, if your friend loves baked goods, you can bake muffins at home. Or if your friend loves the outdoors, you could take them to a new trail and go exploring. The key to a good gift for a friend is making it customizable to who they are because it shows that you listen to them and know them beyond the superficial.

Gift giving is not about being flashy or about showing off having a partner; it’s about love at its core. The best way to celebrate life´s joys is by showing appreciation to all the people in your life.

Haley Morrill

UC Berkeley '25

Haley is a 3rd year at UC Berkeley, who is an art major. She loves to write about the arts, culture, and more! When Haley is not studying, you can find her going to art museums, trying every version of a mocha, or making art. She is very excited to continue with the Her Campus team and is looking forward to the year ahead.