This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Now that spooky season is upon us, it’s time we visit some true crime podcasts hosted by amazing female storytellers. There is so much to be said about the victims of horrific crimes, as well as the complexities surrounding them. However, the media and movies regarding these crimes often are more fascinated with the twisted killers than the stories as a whole. These badass hosts tell the complete story of these crimes, all while bringing in comedy when appropriate. 

brunette woman shot from behind facing a window, wearing headphones listening to music and holding them with her hands
Photo by Burst from Pexels

#1: Crime Junkie

Crime Junkie is an obvious staple in the true crime podcast community. Hosts Ashley Flowers and Brit Prawat provide all the gory details pertaining to cases including murder, kidnapping, and even conspiracies. They both do an amazing job of being sensitive to the victims. They also truly care about the facts, which is evident in their in-depth research. 

#2: Morbid: A True Crime Podcast

Any listener tuning into Morbid can immediately tell that hosts Ash and Alaina are the best of friends. Their humor and jokes never take away from the darkness of the crimes they present. Their research is extremely thorough, and their unique perspectives make listening to their podcast even more exciting. 

grayscale photo of a podcast setup
Photo by Neil Godding from Unsplash

#3: RedHanded

British hosts Hannah and Suruthi give their audience a perfect mix of comedy and true crime. Just as the story turns creepy, these hosts immediately throw in some banter or other funny commentary to ease the scary ambience of the crime. I love the structure of this podcast because it feels both informative and like a natural conversation between the hosts. 

Emily Lai

UC Berkeley '24

Emily is a second year at UC Berkeley intending to major in Political Economy and History. She is from San Francisco, and is passionate about fitness, food, and politics. Emily is looking to go into a career in finance, and enjoys writing about her college life.
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.