Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham in gilmore girls
Saeed Adyani/Netflix

MY TOP 10 ‘GILMORE GIRLS’ MUST-WATCH EPISODES

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

As an avid Gilmore Girls fan, I have spent many nights watching countless episodes of my two favorite “Gilmore girls” and the adventures they encounter with the quaint characters that occupy their little town of Stars Hollow. Every episode is packed with fast dialogue, pop culture references, quirky subplots, and, of course, different coming-of-age events. Whether you are a Gilmore beginner or lover, here are 10 of my must-see Gilmore Girls episodes.

10.  “Those are Strings, Pinocchio” (Season 3, Episode 22) 

This episode is the coup-de-grace of the first three seasons of the show where all that has built up in those seasons comes to an end. Rory graduates from Chilton and gives a speech, leaving not a dry-eye in the group that came to cheer her on, including my favorite, Luke. It’s an all-around emotion-filled episode that is a great way to end Rory’s high school saga.

9.  “Let Me Hear Your Balalaikas Ringing Out” (Season 6, Episode 8)

In this episode, Jess returns from when we last saw him at the end of season four, Logan and Jess meet, Jess brings Rory back down to reality, and Luke sponsors a local soccer team. The drama that ensues between Logan and Jess, the humor of Luke becoming enthralled with his team, and Jess finally giving Rory the harsh truth, make this episode one worth watching.

8. “Rory’s Birthday Parties” (Season 1, Episode 6)

This episode is Rory’s sweet sixteen. Rory has two birthday parties, one planned by her Grandma with all of Chilton, and one by her mom with all of Stars Hollow. Here we see all sorts of Stars Hollow fun, from Babette and Patty, Sookie, Luke, and all the other characters. I love this episode because it’s the first time we see Emily and Richard interact with the girls’ life in Stars Hollow. It ends with Rory receiving a visit from a special someone. All of this creates a dimensional episode you have to see.

Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

7. “Written in the Stars” (Season 5, Episode 3)

This episode is one of my favorites because it’s when a long-awaited couple, Luke and Lorelai, finally go on an official date, and we learn that Luke has been pining for her for eight years! We are also first introduced to Logan in this episode, which is pivotal for the trajectory of the rest of Rory’s storyline. I just love the story behind Luke and Lorelai that is introduced in this episode, and of course, meeting Logan Huntzberger. 

6. “Raincoats and Recipes” (Season 4, Episode 22)

This is the climax of season four and, let me tell you, the plot twists are insane. We get the practice run of the Grand Opening of the Dragonfly Inn, which brings in all sorts of quirkiness from the characters of Stars Hollow, such as Kirk and his night terrors. This episode brings together a long-awaited couple and the consummation of Rory and someone from her past. Emily and Richard admit problems their relationship has been having, and Lorelai gets a surprise visit. All of this action equates to a great episode, and a must-watch.

5. “Bon Voyage” (Season 7, Episode 22)

This episode is the capstone for the whole series. It follows the two as they prepare Rory for an unexpected job as a news reporter on Obama’s campaign. She is set to leave a few weeks earlier than planned, and the whole town surprises her with a lot of handy work from Luke. The episode is full of emotional and heartfelt moments that will make you cry as you’ve been a part of the coming-of-age of these two Gilmore girls.

4. “You Jump, I Jump, Jack” (Season 5, Episode 7)

In this episode, Rory goes on a journalistic endeavor with Logan Huntzberger. She follows the high class of society students to a secret society gathering, and the different costumes and sets are just so fun to watch. We also see Rory and Logan’s relationship begin to grow, and the nickname “Ace” is introduced. After hearing word of Lorelai and Luke’s relationship, both Emily and Richard invite him to dinner and golf. This episode is humorous, exciting, and fun to watch.

3. “A-Tisket, A-Tasket” (Season 2, Episode 13)

I love this episode and think everyone needs to see it because it showcases the charm of Stars Hollow with their basket bidding ceremony, and all sorts of drama unfolds with the ladies and their gentlemen callers. Jess outbids someone, allowing him and Rory to have some alone time. Lorelai enlists Luke to bid on her, allowing for them to have a moment as well. Lane has her first brush with heartbreak, and Sookie and Jackson make big plans for the future. This episode has so many different plot turns encased in a quirky Stars Hollow ritual and is a must-see.

2. “They Shoot Gilmores, Don’t They?” (Season 3, Episode 7)

This episode is one of my absolute favorites. It’s the climax of building tension between the rivalry of Dean and Jess. This whole event is encased in the town’s 24 hour Dance-a-Thon. The whole concept of a 24 hour Dance-a-Thon with these town characters is so comedic and ingenious. I love this episode because of the drama that unfolds, as well as the fun subplots that occur throughout. 

1. …drumroll… “Pilot” (Season 1, Episode 1)

This episode is an integral part of the Gilmore Girls story. It’s where we are first introduced to our Gilmore girls and the quaint town of Stars Hollow. It also consists of all of the early 2000s and fall vibes, and we’re introduced to many of the side characters, like Lane, Dean, Luke, and Emily and Richard. This episode is quintessential Gilmore Girls, and the rest of the series couldn’t have been developed without it. Therefore, it’s my number one must-see!

Ellie Buss

UC Berkeley '26

Ellie is a Sophomore at the University of California, Berkeley double majoring in English and Media Studies. She is currently a staff-writer for the Berkeley chapter in the editorial department. Ellie has experience in media, film, public relations, and writing. She enjoys writing personal blogs and essays in her free time as well as articles about all things pop culture. After graduating, Ellie aspires to enter the media and communications industry where she can continue to share stories. When Ellie is not writing, she loves dancing, and is involved in three dance clubs on campus, listening to music, watching movies, spending time with friends and family, and eating ice cream.