This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

“Lucky Girl Syndrome” is one of the latest trends sweeping Tiktok, and frankly, one of the most positive. Its premise is that your thought process about life can be the most influential factor in how your life turns out. The theory essentially says that if you reframe your way of thinking to the mindset that you’re the luckiest girl on the planet and that everything always works out for you and happens in your best interest, then it actually will!

At first, the idea seems like a stretch — just wanting and willing something to happen doesn’t automatically result in its implementation. Yet, hundreds upon thousands of videos on Tiktok under the viral hashtag, which has almost 300 million uses, prove otherwise. In the videos, girls discuss all the fantastic things that have happened to them after adopting this viral mindset. From winning Hamilton tickets to securing dream internships, “Lucky Girl Syndrome” has had widespread positive and life-changing effects.

At its core, “Lucky Girl Syndrome” is an extension of manifestation, which has deep roots in India with the concept of Karma. Whatever action, energy,  or train of thought you put into the universe, you are bound to get back. One burnout recovery specialist (@kaitlinvillatoro) chimed in on Tiktok, saying this was a great tool because it “shifts your brain away from worst-case scenario thinking… into expecting that the best-case scenario is possible for you.” Usually, we are expected to think realistically, so we do. However, by employing this “ultra-realistic” mindset, we may be shifting our thoughts or expectations towards the negative side of things to avoid getting hurt or let down. Reprogramming our brains to expect exciting things out of life, instead of disappointment, is bound to have favorable effects: not only concerning our luck but our mental health as well! Even if you’re unsure whether you want to ride the wave of the latest trend, I would encourage you to try out this lucky mindset. I, too, am naturally skeptical of things like this, but I have to admit that this trend carries a lot of significance. Because what’s most important about “Lucky Girl Syndrome” isn’t whether it actually works. Instead, regardless of the outcome, what’s most beneficial about this trend is that it leads you to believe that you deserve the best out of life and that you’ll be able to get it! I think this mindset is one we should all employ because it emphasizes that we are capable of more than what we initially believed. So, I encourage you all to think you’re the luckiest girl alive. I’ll do the same because, if nothing else, I know I’ll live my life more positively; and what’s the harm in that?

Nikita Jethani

UC Berkeley '25

Nikita is a junior at UC Berkeley, studying political science and journalism. When she's not writing, she spends her time going to concerts, baking, reading contemporary romance, and frequenting new cafes.