This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

All colleges are known to have a prominent hookup culture. It’s the time where we all can really explore ourselves sexually and get to know more about our bodies. However, we also need to take precautions to avoid STDs and unwanted pregnancies. While it can be common knowledge to protect ourselves with condoms, birth control, Plan B, etc., accessibility isn’t as common.

Accessibility can be easy if you have the school’s insurance because these products and services are usually offered at a reduced rate or even at no cost at all. For people whose insurance might not cover these products or for those without access to insurance, Planned Parenthood is a perfect platform. Planned Parenthood does more than perform abortions. It also provides accessibility for many women who cannot afford birth control or Plan B.

Photo by Reproductive Health Supplies Coalition on Unsplash

Planned Parenthood makes sure to keep everything confidential in order to protect the safety of their patients. They also have a program in which they provide free birth control and Plan B if you make less than a certain income. This program applies to a lot of people in college, since most of us only have part-time jobs. Planned Parenthood can give you up to a year’s supply of these products, which makes it so accessible considering birth control without insurance can cost up to $500. 

Women’s rights have always been a struggle, especially when it comes to breaking the stigma of female sexuality and female autonomy. Planned Parenthood has paved the way for women to have accessibility to practice safe sex and claim their own autonomy. It is so important to vote to make sure these rights are not taken away.

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels
Dixie Valle

UC Berkeley '22

Dixie is a senior at UC Berkeley studying Political Science. She is also minoring in public policy and education. On her free time, she loves watching reality tv and listening to music.
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.