food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

The K-Drama Kleenex Edition: The Smile Has Left Your Eyes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

A lot has happened in the last week so far. And as always, both good and bad happened.

My personal preference has always been to start with the bad so that I could at least end with a relatively good ‘taste’ in my mind. Bitter aftertastes don’t work well. So, here’s the latest scoop that my wonderful Her Campus collegiettes have updated me on:

Khloé Kardashian has split with her boyfriend Tristan Thompson after he allegedly cheated on Kardashian with another woman. Lady Gaga has supposedly split from her fiancé Christian Carino. And, most importantly, in the growing register of number of lives lost, the world has lost another soul to death – this time, a German soul known for his iconic fashion designs, handbags, clothes, shoes, and art contributions: Karl Lagerfeld. May he rest in peace.

Now for the sprint of sugar after tasting the lemonade:

The Jonas Brothers are reportedly reuniting nearly six years after they split up to record new music. It’ll be very interesting to see one newly married Jonas performing for the first time. I can’t imagine how it will feel to listen to the boy band with one married to one of my favorite actresses, Priyanka Chopra (excuse me, Priyanka Jonas!).

Bernie Sanders plans to run for the Democratic Presidential nomination again. Yay for politics.

Spring is near (though it snowed in Angwin, California a few days back, and it was hard to believe this fact), so those wallowing in the winter blues, fear not!

And, of course, with midterm season in full swing, destressing has become ever more important. What better way to relax from the test stress than taking a brief breather, settling in your favorite pair of PJs (or shorts!), and watching a binge-worthy Korean drama to distract your mind for a few moments from the reality of routine life?

There are so many pleasing K-dramas out there worth watching simply due to the number of accolades and attention they’ve garnered in their respective local audience hubs but I’ve done the painstaking (though rewarding) work of hand-selecting the ones that I would recommend in a heartbeat to any and all viewers interested in K-dramas.

You’re welcome, ladies.

I curated my selection on the basis of the cast’s praiseworthy acting skills, the direction and storytelling, the quality of scriptwriting, the cinematography of scenes, the plot, the setting, the musical scores used (Original Sound Tracks or OSTs), and the overall execution of the entire drama from the pilot to the ending episode. Of course, my own personal preference also tied into my show choices.

In the past, I brought you four amazing shows: My ID is Gangnam Beauty (a K-drama featuring toxic friendships and major societal issues regarding beauty and physical appearance), What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim? (a more drama-focused show), and Rich Man, Poor Woman (a Valentine’s Day special).

This week, I introduce you to a much more somber, pensive, and austere show that features mystery, suspense, wonderful acting, and exceptional cinematography, one that calls for tears and tissue boxes (hence the K-drama “Kleenex” edition), called The Smile Has Left Your Eyes.

Let’s find out more about this earnestly stern show.

The Smile Has Left Your Eyes

Keywords: Complex Plot, Thrilling Episodes, Phlegmatic Cast

Collegiettes, please do not watch the trailer. I repeat, do not watch the trailer – unless you wish to be utterly sucked into the vortex that is this 2018 South Korean magnum opus.

On the same note, do not see the promotional poster on the Wikipedia page for this show.

Unless you wish to be utterly awed by the mature and intricate plot of this show.

This stunning show touches on the more serious notes of entertainment – nothing’s predictable, nothing’s cheeky, and nothing’s too humorous. But everything is mesmerizing. The plot is highly concentrated with a much more solemn, earnest, and thought-provoking story that oozes mystery, suspense, gradual and excellently-structured character development, and pensive rumination. If this sort of genre sounds like what you like, then this show is the perfect boat for you to float in.

Also known as Hundred Million Stars From the Sky, this show falls under the genre of Mystery or Thriller and has a script that entices viewers from the get-go. Every single episode has me on edge. There’s a certain shade of mystery to the cast and direction that renders my attention completely breathless and that urges me to explore the plot further. This show hit me right in the feels. I didn’t even know I had such strong emotions capable of transforming themselves that quickly before I watched this K-drama. There are specific plot points throughout the story that seem to finally mesh together and make some degree of sense at the end. If this drama could deserve its own designated genre, it would be called “suffering” since the story is dark, tragic, complicated, and ruthless. The suspense vexes viewers globally. Viciousness runs in the denouement. The two leads guide you through an emotional rollercoaster that you never wish to get off of and make you realize how truly well-done, well-scripted, and exceptionally choreographed the entire drama was. The direction was brilliantly structured. The casting was on-point. The little details count so much in this show that it makes me hurt. Beautiful plot points that are excellently delivered and cleverly developed as the series continued – kudos to the k-drama world for producing such a highly binge-worthy show!

The amazing thing about this couple is their chemistry is off the charts; it only grows stronger with each episode, and it’s so strong to begin with from the get-go of the drama! The male lead features such a deadpan face but all his movements are so cool and calculated that witnessing the emotion seep through his each and every body movement becomes easier with time. The couple hurts my heart so much. The music syncs beautifully with the moments of the scenes, and everything works in symbiosis to each other. Ladies, if you watch the show regularly, you’ll know the reason(s) why all these elements work for one heck of a well-constructed drama.

Here are a few lines to get you hooked to this fantastic k-drama, ladies:

Kim Moo-young: “What’s with those eyes? Your eyes really irritate me.”

Yoo Jin-kang: “I pity you.”

Kim Moo-young: “There you go again, with those eyes. It makes my heart skip a beat.”

Kim Moo-young: “When I’m with you, I miss the timing to stop. Things accelerate.”

Yoo Jin-kang: “Are you just shameless or overly confident?”

Kim Moo-young: “I’m just sure of myself.”

Kim Moo-young: “I like you.”

Kim Moo-young: “I’ll need to keep seeing you, right?”

Kim Moo-young: “I said, I like you. Let’s date.”

Yoo Jin-kang: “I’m still going to hate you.”

Kim Moo-young: “Do your best.”

Yoo Jin-kang: “Why didn’t you pick up the phone? It’s from your girlfriend.”

Kim Moo-young: “I’m with another woman.”

Yoo Jin-kang: “Why can’t you be a good person? Why don’t you care?”

Kim Moo-young: (After a brief pause) “Teach me.”

Kim Moo-young: “You may not be aware of this, but I’m really used to being rejected.”

Yoo Jin-kang: “Nobody gets used to that. Nobody feels indifferent about being rejected. Seeing you act that way hurts me. I’m on your side, you know.”

Kim Moo-young: “It’s okay. You can leave whenever you want……But come back whenever you want to come back.”

There are some scenes in this show that make me ask: Who in the world is the ninja cutting the onions? Please stop him/her immediately! The male lead said most of those lines, which is also equally incredible. Be sure to notice the exact moment that the title of this show comes into reality toward the final episodes of the series – there is a specific second in time where the smile of a character truly leaves his/her eyes. Exploring the truth of this statement is up to you!

The original Japanese version of the plot that inspired this remake had a sad climax, so viewers, including myself, had been bracing ourselves for the various types of possible endings that this show could potentially have. I’ve seen the ending and I won’t spoil it for you all but I will confess that I hold several different opinions on it; overall, it left me unsatisfied – but it was only because it was spectacular and because I suppose that’s also the beauty of this drama! Regardless, this show knows the recipe to hit you right between your eyelids. As I watched each episode, the twists and turns of the plot left me breathless – and hooked for more!

So, whether you’re looking for another new show to distract yourself from Silicon Valley news, searching for a well-structured K-drama to enjoy the weekend, or interested to see how two skilled actors (and characters from completely contrasting worlds) come to learn more each other within the show described above, tune in to watch The Smile Has Left Your Eyes to experience entertainment in the best of ways this weekend!

Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.